Wait for right note learning mode

Let us know which features you'd like to see added to Playground Sessions.
TomaszSz

Wait for right note learning mode

Post by TomaszSz » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:50 am

Would you be able to implement a learning mode, similar to that in Synthesia or Home Concert Xtreme, where app is waiting for the user to hit correct note before advancing playback?

Thanks,

-Tom-

seant23
Site Admin

Re: Wait for right note learning mode

Post by seant23 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:44 pm

Hi Tom,

This is definitely something we want to look into in the near future. We are currently tied up with some other projects, like tablet versions, but we definitely want to get this feature in.

Thanks!

thowa

Post by thowa » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:59 am

Second this request. It was also made in a later post again. Still not available.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:57 pm

My opinion on this issue is that it can turn bad real quick, musically speaking. I don't believe that users should be able to advance while playing the notes out of time - it's an easy bypass from learning the sections well.

That being said, I'll still run it by the team. I understand it's been a few years, and they've been working tirelessly on other parts of the app. I'll see what the story is. I think a "practice mode" would suffice in which users can play through all the pitches, independent of rhythm. But my fear is that people might use it as a crutch and not learn the music well enough.

Also, our on screen keyboard highlights the keys that are required for a particular section, so you can practice the pitches before playing the interactive sheet music.

Best,
Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

Facing

Post by Facing » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:53 am

I always minimze the keyboard so that I can see enough of tthe score to look ahead to the net line of music to be played as I'm trying to "look further down the road" so to speak.

I think it may be important for developers to realize that not all users will be using the same size screens and/or settings.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:25 pm

Facing wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:53 am
I always minimze the keyboard so that I can see enough of tthe score to look ahead to the net line of music to be played as I'm trying to "look further down the road" so to speak.

I think it may be important for developers to realize that not all users will be using the same size screens and/or settings.
Understood. You can always bring the keyboard back up before diving into a song. Also, have you tried changing the zoom % on the app? I know that if you have a small screen, you could probably only so small with the percentage in order to see more staves of music. I can assure you our developers are aware of the variety of screens and devices used to run Playground. It's just the nature of the app to have the on-screen piano take up some space.
Andrew Wegierski

Music Arranger

Facing

Post by Facing » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:46 am

andrewwegierski wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:25 pm
Facing wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:53 am

Understood. You can always bring the keyboard back up before diving into a song. Also, have you tried changing the zoom % on the app? I know that if you have a small screen, you could probably only so small with the percentage in order to see more staves of music. I can assure you our developers are aware of the variety of screens and devices used to run Playground. It's just the nature of the app to have the on-screen piano take up some space.
I have utilized this feature. I suspectvI will do so more after I get new glasses this summer. :lol:

thowa

Post by thowa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:21 am

andrewwegierski wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:57 pm
My opinion on this issue is that it can turn bad real quick, musically speaking. I don't believe that users should be able to advance while playing the notes out of time - it's an easy bypass from learning the sections well.

That being said, I'll still run it by the team. I understand it's been a few years, and they've been working tirelessly on other parts of the app. I'll see what the story is. I think a "practice mode" would suffice in which users can play through all the pitches, independent of rhythm. But my fear is that people might use it as a crutch and not learn the music well enough.

Also, our on screen keyboard highlights the keys that are required for a particular section, so you can practice the pitches before playing the interactive sheet music.

Best,
Andrew
Same discussion here:
posting.php?mode=edit&f=52&p=21835
Maybe it would meke sense to close one of the two threads and focus the discussion in one of them...?

My post there:
The purpose of this would be to figure out note sequence, not mainly hitting the right key. Apart from tempo and length of notes, the yequencing between reight and left had is also crucial to figure out (what note left goes with what note right disregarding speed).
We have to figure that out with the program stopped. And the problem with that is that the sheet doesn't follow the player.

What we are looking for is a mode where the program would mute all background musig and metronome and simply mark every correct notes played in sequence and progress to the next note on the sheet independent from speed accuracy. Obviously also without recording that as a correct performance.

Example (incorrect notes in small letters):
Sheet as intended:
R: A ABCGHA
L: CCDH C C

Played:
R: Abb AgBCGgHA
L: C CD H C C

Sheet progress:
R: A A BCG HA
L: C CD H C C

I don't think this would be very difficult to program but of course take some effort as it would be a new feature.

Laurensss

Post by Laurensss » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:10 am

I may have already chipped in at one of the other threads about this but if not: I fully second the request and think it would be extremely useful in figuring out a more complex song in the very first stages of looking at it.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:10 pm

Please see my reply on the other post. I don't know if I can merge two threads together.
Andrew Wegierski

Music Arranger