Better enforcement of rests

Let us know which features you'd like to see added to Playground Sessions.
roncain

Better enforcement of rests

Post by roncain » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:13 pm

I'm only 2/3 through bootcamp, so maybe this request is answered in later lessons. But I would like PGS to notice and highlight when I hold a key down where there should be a rest. I see the rests and try my best to let off, but it seems PGS does not detect when I am sloppy and hold the key down across a rest. Could you please show a red blotch whenever I neglect to release a key for a rest? Thanks, PGS is fantastic!

davidsides
Site Admin

Re: Better enforcement of rests

Post by davidsides » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:56 am

Great request. We've actually discussed this feature amongst ourselves as something we'd like to add in a future version of the platform.

tandeitnik

Post by tandeitnik » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:02 pm

Hi,

I don't know if I agree entirely with the suggestion, only if the 'rest detection' could be turned off. Sometimes you want to misbehave and hold a note for a little longer, just because you felt like it or because you like how it sounds. Besides, how would you implement it with people using the damper pedal? For example, I use it a lot when playing the Canon in D piece. The software would say that I'm holding certain notes more than I should...

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:50 am

Great point. Not being graded on rests allow the flexibility to play and express the music differently, making it more your own.

roncain

Post by roncain » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:23 pm

Having the choice to turn it on or off seems like the best of both worlds. I'm beginner enough to need help avoiding bad habits, and without some visual clues, I know I'm getting sloppy in this area. I suspect I'm not alone. I want to learn proper habits first before I bend the rules for effect. And when it's time to bend (or use the pedals), then I would turn it off. Hey, when I want to color outside the lines, I turn off the computer.

Russ1409

Post by Russ1409 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:43 am

This, and a lot of other items have been brought to the attention of playground and the answer is always, "we are working on it, and a change is coming SOON."

http://forums.playgroundsessions.com/vi ... =34&t=5529

Almost nothing has changed in the occasional updates we've been given. What comes out are new songs, or an iPad version. I understand why, the songs make some money, and the software has already been paid for by the user. However, don't get your hopes up for improvements on enforcement of rests, scale practice, importing your own music, more hotkeys.....you can go into the forum and look at what's been promised but not delivered.

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:53 am

Russ,

I understand your frustration, but I assure you that we're not just blowing smoke when we say that we're working on new things for you guys - we really are. The guts of our software are pretty complex, which tends to make new additions and changes challenging at times. Along with that, like many other companies, our manpower is limited so we can only focus on so many internal and external things at a time.

We're working very hard to implement the many requests we receive here on the forum as well as internally through our support emails - features, songs, and content. We love hearing requests about what you guys want to see in the program - keep them coming! All we ask is that you're patient with us as we build it all out and perfect it before releasing it. :)

Russ1409

Post by Russ1409 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:50 pm

David, I understand what you are saying, and as a small business owner myself, I feel your pain. Honestly, it might be better to just not make any promises, rather than fall short on all of them. For instance....

http://forums.playgroundsessions.com/vi ... =52&t=5630

There's no shortage of that pattern of broken promises on the forum here.

I hate that it looks like I'm banging on Playground here, but I guess I am a little. I bought the lifetime membership within weeks of Playground going live, because I wanted to support what I thought (and think) is a great product. I feel like I've gotten my monies' worth, so no real complaint there. However, I have long since gone on to other teaching products because there aren't any real updates or lesson additions. That has been very disappointing.

Russ

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:15 pm

Understood.

I appreciate your honesty and hope to continue to have your patience as we work to get new content and updates out.

thowa

Post by thowa » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:49 am

Fully support this request (it is similar to the missing feature checking note duration).
Regarding the comment on "freedom to play as you lioke": that is not an argument. The whole point of fault indication is to show devaition from the sheet music as it is intended to be. You are always free to play as you like, but rests are as important as notes. If you don't like the sheet, accept the fault, but I don't see why the program should tolerate missing rests but not tolerate missing or additioonal notes - it is the same "fault" quality.

Thomas