Feature Requests -- Requesting Timeline for Implementation

Let us know which features you'd like to see added to Playground Sessions.
kwon917

Feature Requests -- Requesting Timeline for Implementation

Post by kwon917 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:53 pm

Hi there,

I purchased a lifetime subscription to Playground sessions a couple weeks ago but I am still within the 30 day money back guarantee stage and am demoing the product. I have some developer experience so I know it can be difficult to write a really polished, top-notch, piece of software. Overall, I'm impressed but there are some really core features that I would expect to see in $300.00 software.

I was hoping to get both a timeline of when the feature requests below would be implemented, as well as find out from the developers if they are providing updates to the product following an agile (or similar) methodology. Agile isn't required, but in order to stick with it, I'd like to hear that there is some form of scheduled update release schedule (for features--not just bug fixes :)).

Thank you for putting your time into this and please don't interpret the above is highly critical. I am overall happy with the product and appreciate your hard work.

- Support for multiple monitors and docking of the (now) panes/frames. I'd like to be able to move the video or sheet music windows (or both) out to another monitor. I saw this request submitted in the forums earlier last year, so perhaps this is in the process of being implemented already. This one is much more key for me then the other requests below.

- A bit stronger look-and-feel and interaction with the application (windows not losing focus and requiring mouse clicks to reactive, hot keys to move between lesson parts, hot keys to zoom, change tempo, etc.). This is pretty wide open and it should be relatively straight forward to implement but provides alot of value. I realize this is a sort of vague feature request but I am basically just looking for a user experience/UI that matches other products that cost as much as Playground.

- Kind of a tail to the above item, is a UI overhaul coming to Playground in the near future? It's one of the best piano software's out there (probably the best) for look and feel but since it is being actively maintained (most others are not), I'd like to see it soar and blow away the competition.

Thanks in advance for considering these requests and getting back to me. I will likely have a few more as I continue to play with the product.

Please Note: I may decide to go the money back route if I don't hear back on the above requests. It's nothing personal and if that happens, I will continue to check in on the status of the software from time-to-time to see if it's worth trying out again.

seant23
Site Admin

Re: Feature Requests -- Requesting Timeline for Implementation

Post by seant23 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:51 pm

Hey Kwon,

I definitely see an advantage to upgrading the UI for more sophisticated setups like multiple monitor or support re-arranging panels. I don't see us making any changes to the desktop layout engine until the next major release, so I wouldn't hold your breath, but who knows, priorities change all the time. Currently our high priority goals are:
  • Packing iPad with Desktop features (progress, badges, notation enhancements)
  • Deploying first Android version (we are launching this weekend!)
  • Bluetooth MIDI support
  • 3rd party content authoring/support (via new Playground Studio application)
  • Adding localization support for iPad/Android, and continuing to enhance the desktop localization.
  • Subtitle support for videos
  • A bunch more super secret awesome projects that be very fun to announce later on!
Playground has been a one developer show for the last couple of years, but we have started to grow the team pretty significantly, so progress in all areas will be much quicker. I'm also a fan of Agile, but nobody really does Agile the way the books talk about. But yes, definitely will be a goal to have steady releases. Last couple of months we have been primarily focused on Android and iPad features and support, so the Desktop hasn't got as much love as the others, but mostly because the Desktop already is pretty feature packed and the other 2 are still playing catch up. With the team growing, we will be able to spend lots more time giving each platform more love, and some new features (we got lots of fun stuff planned)

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:27 pm

seant23 wrote:Playground has been a one developer show for the last couple of years, but we have started to grow the team pretty significantly, so progress in all areas will be much quicker. I'm also a fan of Agile, but nobody really does Agile the way the books talk about. But yes, definitely will be a goal to have steady releases. Last couple of months we have been primarily focused on Android and iPad features and support, so the Desktop hasn't got as much love as the others, but mostly because the Desktop already is pretty feature packed and the other 2 are still playing catch up. With the team growing, we will be able to spend lots more time giving each platform more love, and some new features (we got lots of fun stuff planned)
Agile would seem to be a challenge to run with only one developer. The only facet of Agile I can imagine, and that completely make since with a single developer, is limited scope releases - incremental changes and improvements. It's good to hear .... or read .... that you've been able to increase the size of the team. I've been enjoying the system already, but I can see a great deal of potential as witnessed by the feature requests you've garnered.

I'm looking forward to seeing this program improve and do so for a long time to come. As it is now and as it can become even more of, this is an amazing tool that face to face instructors should embrace. The ability to practice with real time scoring and evaluation is critical to fast progression and Playground Sessions has laid some impressive foundations so far.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

kwon917

Post by kwon917 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:12 am

Amazing... I had no idea it was a single developer doing all this work. That's a pretty significant undertaking and the feature list you're working on is noble!

Now that I know this, I am rooting you on.

Also pumped about the Android release for this weekend!!!!

I'll have to ponder the right move as I really enjoy the software but it's difficult at times to follow the video (for example, fingering suggestions) with the split panes.

With only one Dev, agile should certainly wait. Just curious, eh t language and/or engine is the desktop app written in?

Thanks for setting me straight :)

seant23
Site Admin

Post by seant23 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:32 pm

With only one Dev, agile should certainly wait. Just curious, eh t language and/or engine is the desktop app written in?
We use a lot of C++ and Ecmascript for the desktop clients. Can't really go into too much more details than that. We've had issues in the past with competitors "borrowing" our logic :)

kwon917

Post by kwon917 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:50 am

Makes sense. Thanks for getting back to me.