Timing and Rhythm

Let us know which features you'd like to see added to Playground Sessions.
Brewster

Timing and Rhythm

Post by Brewster » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:39 pm

Hey everybody. I am new to all this so it might be covered already. Many years ago I was given a book which had in the back cover a 45 RPM record (anyone else remember those?) and the book was "The Music Kit" by Tom Manoff. 2nd edition. It was a bit cumbersome trying to listen to and constantly lift and lower your turntable arm on to and off of the correct track. Today would be no problem in digital. The point is that the book was all about time signature - rhythm and tempo. The idea was to give you a FEEL for what the notes were meant to sound like - not just their arithmetic value in a particular measure of a song. Is there anything like that in Playground? I have just started Bootcamp 15 on Rhythm but have posted a problem about this (a reply to someone else's posting actually). I thought it was a great idea. Some day I will convert that 45 to a CD or music file & use it on my PC.

sw1tch73ch

Re: Timing and Rhythm

Post by sw1tch73ch » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:15 pm

You can have the lesson play for you. You won't get practice points. Look for the little left and right hands at the top left of the lesson. Click them to tell the app to play that hand for you. Click each of them to play both parts. That way you can hear the tempo of the piece.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

thowa

Post by thowa » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:37 am

...note that aou have to on the MIDI sound volume somewhere deep inside the user settings when toggling playback in the menu, other wise you won't hear anything. Mentioning that because many people mute the MIDI as they prefer to listen to their own piano instead of the programs MIDI sound when practicing.
A more simple way to toggle program MIDI has been requested elsewhere.

Thomas

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:34 pm

As John said, it's a good idea to use the piano demo feature and have the app play the song for you. Additionally, you should sing and count the rhythms out loud. When you form memory connections between speaking and using your hands, you will progress much quicker.

About the piano demo sound, it is not terribly deep in the user settings. It's rather easy to get to. Go to "settings" in the bottom right hand corner, and then go to "Volume" on the left hand side of that pop up menu. Make sure the in app piano is turned up.

Best,
Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

Laurensss

Post by Laurensss » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:00 am

Hi Andrew, please realise that a user who prefers the sound of their piano to the (very mediocre) piano sounds built into PGS has to go that route /every time/ they want to use the piano demo feature, and /every time/ they want to switch it off again. This gets old very quickly.

You commented elsewhere that it may be too hard for the developers to implement a toggle for this in the main interface but I really cannot imagine that. One can manipulate this variable through a slider in settings, how hard can it be to do the same through a toggle in the main interface. Or link it to the Piano demo buttons' state. It would be really helpful!

mariyastepanenko

Post by mariyastepanenko » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:46 pm

Hi Laurensss, this is a good suggestion! We don't have any app updates coming up, but we will certainly consider implementing a toggle in the future!

thowa

Post by thowa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:56 am

mariyastepanenko wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:46 pm
Hi Laurensss, this is a good suggestion! We don't have any app updates coming up, but we will certainly consider implementing a toggle in the future!
...I sincerely hope you mean "We don't have any app updates coming up IN THE IMMEDIATE FUTURE"! Or do you in fact stop improving it from now on?!?

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:43 am

That's correct. We're currently prioritizing the android version, and it's in the testing phase right now and should be released sometime in the summer months. This is a huge developer's accomplishment!

We don't have any desktop app updates that are ready to be released, but that doesn't mean that developers have completely forgotten about the app, or that we are 100% satisfied by any means. I'm not sure of a timetable for the next release, it might be a while. But yes, there aren't any updates coming in the immediate future.
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com