looping part options (sa far annoying)

Let us know which features you'd like to see added to Playground Sessions.
lordluca

looping part options (sa far annoying)

Post by lordluca » Tue May 09, 2017 4:45 am

HI!

Is there a possibility to add option to turn off counting before every loop?
For example:

I want to practice two first bars of a song. I highlight them and press play. When it reaches the end of the second bar it seamlessly starts over from the beginning of the first one WITHOUT annoying "set...go..."
This counting breaks the 'flow' especially in shorter loops. It's okay when i loop a longer fragment like 12 bars or something, but in shorter ones (especially when bar has only few notes in it) is really, i mean REALLY distracting.

Please, do something about it!

sw1tch73ch

Re: looping part options (sa far annoying)

Post by sw1tch73ch » Tue May 09, 2017 2:49 pm

I think not only, on repeating a single measure, or even two or three, is the count in distracting, it is also disruptive. I agree that the option to turn off the count-in mid loop is a good idea. It should be like the finger numbers / Letters / none and the Metronome ticks and be something we can toggle on and off.

Thank you LordLuca for this - because I feel that way too.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

thomas1018
Site Admin

Post by thomas1018 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:47 pm

We appreciate your suggestion. I will run it by our developers to see if it can be implemented soon.

owlman

Post by owlman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:34 am

I agree, and would also like the ability to turn this off (or shorten it) especially when I'm practicing small portions of a song.

thowa

Post by thowa » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:26 am

Totally agree - this seems simple to do but is still pending. Why simple? Because the counting in loop is already different with 1-2-set-go only, skipping the 1-2-3-4. it should be easy to allow toggling 1-2-3-4 also without looping mode and to skip the 1-2-set-go in looping mode too.
Bottom line:
allow users to set
1. 1-2-3-4-1-2-set-go
2. 1-2-set-go
3. no count at all
in both normal and looping mode.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:30 pm

I'm unsure what the status of this update is. It might be a trickier task than we once imagined for the developer team.

Just to clarify - the count in doesn't repeat with every loop. It only counts you in at the beginning of a loop. I don't see how a loop is any different than playing a full section, except for length. No matter what users are playing, we believe the count in is a good feature in order to allow players to get ready and set with the hand position and get acquainted with the tempo.

Best,
Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:57 am

Is there already a feature for this? I get the count in every time the loop restarts. Did I miss a spot to set this off?

It's worst when the loop is just a couple measures or three. Then the count in is a significant portion of the loop.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

mariyastepanenko

Post by mariyastepanenko » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:34 am

So far no new changes have been implemented. There's still a count in, but it should only give you two beats before a new repetition ("Set. Go!"). We will definitely consider adding an option to disable it, but we also want to make sure that it doesn't become confusing, especially for our more beginner users. Having a count in gives you two beats to prepare and make sure you start playing in tempo and on the correct beat, especially if you're looping a section that doesn't end in a full measure. We'll keep you updated!

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:03 pm

Yeah, I forgot it was the abbreviated "Set Go". I never noticed I could look less than full measures. I probably haven't tried.

If you don't get full measures selected into the loop, then I can see how "Set Go" would be good.

When I'm stuck on something, it's usually because while I can play it isolated, I get lost "in context" and by looping it over and over, with the rest of the context, I can work on not getting tripped up on whatever it is that is tricky about the part - and often feel like I lose momentum when the count in stops everything and then goes again.

This might be a special case, but a setting to "hide" the lead in "Set Go" and land on the beat should keep the timing of the rhythm going. Maybe it needs a setting to insure "full" measures only in loops for these times.

-- jbs --

mariyastepanenko

Post by mariyastepanenko » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:52 pm

sw1tch73ch, I hear you! I'll bring it up to the rest of the team for review. Definitely worth looking into. My advice would be to make sure that when you're choosing a section to loop, open it up enough to include the transition. Be mindful of the melodic phrasing, so that you're not just practicing in 2/3/4 measures, but also practicing the transition into that section. Let us know how it goes!