Practice Section

Let us know which features you'd like to see added to Playground Sessions.
Becrux

Practice Section

Post by Becrux » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:04 pm

I'm new and so far love working with Playground Sessions!

I would love to see a section with recommended practice items. I was thinking something along the lines of breaking each of the Bootcamp tracks into levels like Rookie Level 1 is people working on Bootcamp items 1-20 and Level 2 is Bootcamp items 21-40 or some grouping along the topics in the Bootcamp like each scale or 2-hands or whatever and then in the Practice tab have supplemental items like Finger exercises, scales and additional scores that compliment that Level. So when I want to do my daily practice I have a set of items I can work on and practice every day to really learn and get good at that level or topic before I start the next set of training items.

Right now, I'm trying to repeat the previous 1 or 2 items in Bootcamp from the previous day to reinforce where I'm at before progressing to the next Bootcamp item, but I'm not really sure what I should be doing for practice to reinforce the information. Should I just repeat each exercise x times until I get 100% before moving on or X times at 9o%+ before moving on? I don't want to progress so quickly that I don't really learn anything.

Thanks!

sw1tch73ch

Re: Practice Section

Post by sw1tch73ch » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:04 am

Hello Becrux!

Remember: You are in charge of your lessons. Only you can decide if you need to practice until you get 100%. If you can reach 90%, you are doing good. If you can reach 95% you are doing really well. If you can reach 98% you are doing great. And if you can do 100%, well, you are doing awesome.

I do repeat previous lessons some times. It can help warm up the fingers doing something you know you can already do (even if you haven't done it to 100%). I'm currently near the end of the Rookie Bootcamp and find I'm having to work hard to progress in the lesson. So the first thing I do is play the parts of the lesson I've already completed to remind myself what it is, and warm up my brain and fingers in the process. Early on, repeating the two previous lessons can be a good start. Later, as the lessons get longer, you might find you don't want to do that as much. I will say some lessons are quite lovely and worth repeating just for that (usually I do just the final Challenge of the lessons I'm repeating).

I'm one that strives for 100%, and it takes me a long time, sometimes, to get there. But as long as I'm making some sort of progress, I don't worry about it. If you are having trouble getting there, and you are using a PC or Mac, you have fine control over Tempo and can make little increases at a time to get you there. If you can get 100% at say 40 BPM, there is a good chance you can also do so at 44. Then when you get 100% at 44, you can probably do 48. I keep going until I reach a BPM that I can't reach 100% and keep working there to improve, one note at a time. Or slow it back down a notch or so and practice doing it "right."

Also on PC or Mac you can loop just the portion giving you trouble and get your fingers and brain used to doing that part.

Of course, once I reach 100% on what is Full Speed, it is time to move along to the next lesson.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --