Keyboard Requirements and Arrangement information on Song Store

Let us know which features you'd like to see added to Playground Sessions.
StuLast

Keyboard Requirements and Arrangement information on Song Store

Post by StuLast » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:42 pm

I've just been enjoying a rather spirited discussion on the Facebook group regarding information provided when purchasing a song.
I agree with the sentiment of the discussion that the following points would be very useful to see to inform which level of the arrangement should be purchased.

* Number of keys required (88, 61 etc)

* Sections included in/omitted from the arrangement. Ie "this song contains all intros, verses and chorus, but not the lead break"

I think explaining this upfront would avoid any disappointed customers if they discover the song/piece is not what they expected.
Stu Last
Aspiring Musician and Social Media Botherer

"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong (or until you get more beta testing in your email)" :D

HananCho

Re: Keyboard Requirements and Arrangement information on Song Store

Post by HananCho » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:41 pm

I bought "Fur Elise" and it sounded weird in some section. I'm not sure if it's because that I use 61 keys or that's the arrangement.

Facing

Post by Facing » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:56 am

What I would really like to see in the store is more sort options -specifically key signature. I understand that I can preview the piece I would like to but, lets all admit the sitevis not a fast one and opening those previews takes time. Previewing half a dozen takes enough time that for the most part I no longer bother. I haven't bought a new song in months.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:22 am

Good questions! Let me clear up some of that information.

1) All rookie arrangements fit 49 keys. All intermediate and advanced arrangements fit 61 keys (with some exceptions, I think).

2) Good point about the arrangement information. In general, we include all sections for intermediate and advanced levels. For rookie levels, we sometimes cut out repetitive sections that have slight nuances to them (especially for jazz). Additionally, some tunes don't have backing tracks because they are piano only, from the contemporary piano genre. I believe those are sorted as so, but it might be a good idea to achieve clarity on the rookie jazz arrangements, especially. Also, there are some songs labeled "Rookie Easy" - these always are melody only, split between the hands. That's good to know.

3) Facing, I definitely understand the lack of search options, and I'll bring this one up in the next meeting. Like I said in my other post, the priority right now is the Android app, and we did just come out with a new iPad app last month, so I'm sure we'll be circling around to the desktop version again soon. We definitely want users to be able to sort by song title, artist, difficulty, genre, etc. But, key signature is a good option. Here's some general information about key signs:

-Rookie arrangements are always transposed to an easier key. Almost all of them are in the key of C, F, G, D, Bb. This is a good rule of thumb.
-Intermediate arrangements are a case by case basis. Obviously, if the original song is in an easy key, then it remains in that key. If it's in say, A, Eb, maybe even E or Ab, and it's not that hard of an arrangement, it might stay. Basically, you won't find any really hard key signs here.
-Advanced arrangements are almost always the original key of the song, even if it's in B, Db, F#/Gb, but if it's in C#, it'll probably be written in Db. Same as Cb to B (there was actually an interesting case in one of my arrangements where it modulated from Db to Cb.)
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

StuLast

Post by StuLast » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:55 am

Awesome! Great information @Andrew. Thanks for sharing and giving so much detail. I feel better armed to answer questions now :)
Stu Last
Aspiring Musician and Social Media Botherer

"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong (or until you get more beta testing in your email)" :D