Prevent a lesson from being marked as completed when it's being played at half speed

Let us know which features you'd like to see added to Playground Sessions.
peter

Prevent a lesson from being marked as completed when it's being played at half speed

Post by peter » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:48 pm

Hi there,
Can we please prevent a lesson from being marked as completed when it's set to half speed instead of full speed. Ie: Needs to be >80% accuracy at full speed.

(I'm providing rewards for my kids to make progress through bootcamp lessons, and would like to base it on the course completed status, but if they only do it at half speed, I figure they haven't really finished the lesson completely.)

andrewwegierski

Re: Prevent a lesson from being marked as completed when it's being played at half speed

Post by andrewwegierski » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:27 pm

Yep. This one's already marked down on my feature request list which is subject to review.

Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

peter

Re: Prevent a lesson from being marked as completed when it's being played at half speed

Post by peter » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:27 pm

Awesome, Thanks Andrew.

easyword

Post by easyword » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:40 am

Hi there,

Peter's suggestion could be an integral part of the scoring system where percent accuracy is weighted by percent speed to obtain a weighted score. For example, if 90% accuracy is achieved while playing at 80% speed then the weighted score is 72% (90% times 80% equals 72%).

Cheers,

Juan.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:22 pm

Interesting idea Juan.

I would expect that the user would see their percent correct, still, so they know where they are going wrong other than playing slowly. It really helps playing to 100% regardless of tempo, so like we currently see a "Time Points" and a "Performance Points" on the points given, we need to see the "Percent Accuracy" and the "Percent Tempo" scores.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

easyword

Post by easyword » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:02 pm

Thanks sw1tch73ch.
Of course, the user should still see the breakdown of their overall (weighted) score into their two individual components: "Percent Accuracy" and "Percent Tempo". Both are important and should be taken into account in coming up with an overall score for the lesson. The system that Playground uses now marks a lesson as completed when 80% accuracy is achieved, disregarding tempo. On the other hand, to achieve an 80% overall score using my suggested formula would require both individual scores to be higher than 80%, unless either one is 100%, in which case a minimum of 80% on the other would be needed to get a passing overall score.

Swampfox

Post by Swampfox » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:51 am

It would also be nice if a lesson were marked complete if the challange module was completed regardless if the earlier modules had been done or not. Honestly, some of the lessons have a lot of redundancy and it may not necessary for every student to complete every module, and some students may do better with a different stepwise approach to get to the same goal. For example, I found it much easier to keep the left hand maintaining the pulse and harmony on the Broken Chords modules and slowly adding the melody, whereas in I-35-6 you drop the left hand every other measure. I can consistanly do the challange at 95% plus but I would need to go back and complete 6 to check it off, which honestly would be a waste of time. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the way the lessons are approached, just that as students progress they may want to approach the challeges in their own fashion.