Add daily scales practice

Let us know which features you'd like to see added to Playground Sessions.
alnyden

Re: Add daily scales practice

Post by alnyden » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:50 pm

Whatever happened to this? This was "coming soon" over a year ago. As many have mentioned we don't need 22 course videos, just a simple scale or chord progression to follow.

newbie613

Post by newbie613 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:40 pm

I was wondering the same thing. One of the first things I looked for was practice with scales. This format is ideally suited for it - couldn't all scales and chords and associated notation be created in a DAW in fairly short order? I understand the benefit of breaking it down as was done for C Major but just the essentials for all the other scales would be appreciated. Post by staff said it was almost ready a year ago - what's the holdup? Thanks

Paulopedia

Post by Paulopedia » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:00 am

I aggree. I'd like to see multi-octave scale exercises for major, minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor, pentatonic major and minor, modes etc...
I'd also like to see piano exercises... like the famous Hanon piano exercises.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:04 am

Hi everyone,

I'm happy to clarify some information regarding the scales.

One octave and two octave scales have been available as unlockable courses. The requirements for unlocking them is supposed to be a surprise, but don't worry, they're not hard. As long as you're making good progress in the Bootcamp and song store both, you're bound to unlock one of them!

The scales are very comprehensive and provide detailed instruction including fingering, hand position, and differences between the hands in some of the harder scales.

Best,
Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

Facing

Post by Facing » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:06 am

I consider the "surprise" aspect of this annoying and a little condescending. I've unlocked two courses but have no way of knowing how many more are available or what I need to do to unlock them. Consequently I have no way of knowing how best to direct my practice to suit my own personal goals.

Russ1409

Post by Russ1409 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:08 pm

Facing wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:06 am
I consider the "surprise" aspect of this annoying and a little condescending. I've unlocked two courses but have no way of knowing how many more are available or what I need to do to unlock them. Consequently I have no way of knowing how best to direct my practice to suit my own personal goals.
One of the things about PGS is it's set up like a game. Sometimes there's little things like this that can be a bit annoying. I've wanted scales practice for a long time, to the point that I just made up my own in a different program. I'd like to use it on PGS, but I'm not going to go backwards and try to figure out where they are and how to use them. I don't see why PGS can't just make the lessons that many people have asked for...and have been promised for OVER 2 years now.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:09 am

I understand those concerns, Russ and Facing. I'll bring them up to the team today. I really do believe that the notion of unlocking courses can be engaging for the user, but it's possible that scales are so essential that they might not be the appropriate topic to make only unlockable.

Best,
Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Music Arranger

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:29 am

I'll agree that the Scales practice should be "pre-unlocked." Chords might fit that too, perhaps. These two are fairly basic to actually understanding the music and how it flows.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

Russ1409

Post by Russ1409 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:20 am

No matter what the team decides, thank you, Andrew, for being here to address the issues. It's very much appreciated.

Russ

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:22 pm

You're very welcome. I'm happy to bring the forums back to life.

We have people that feel strongly on both sides of the issue. It's been brought up before, but due to other priorities within the app (namely the soon to be released Android version!), I'm not sure when we will revisit it.

Best,
Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Music Arranger