Add daily scales practice

Let us know which features you'd like to see added to Playground Sessions.
Facing

Re: Add daily scales practice

Post by Facing » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:42 am

andrewwegierski wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:09 am
I understand those concerns, Russ and Facing. I'll bring them up to the team today. I really do believe that the notion of unlocking courses can be engaging for the user, but it's possible that scales are so essential that they might not be the appropriate topic to make only unlockable.

Best,
Andrew
I think you may have misunderstood my concern. I have no issue with having to unlck additional lessons-even scales practice. What I take issue with is not knowing what is available to be unlocked and what I need to do to accomplish that.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:09 am

Got it. I think we can definitely discuss a public display of what's available to be unlocked, but I'm still not sure about making the requirements public. I can assure you, they're not hard. As long as you do well in Bootcamp lessons and song lessons, you'll be bound to unlock one.
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

Luck876

Post by Luck876 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:56 am

Has there been any movement on this? I agree with many here that scales, chords and arpeggios should be basic courses.
Are they available but hidden? It looks like some of this is already available but "unlockable". I agree with Facing, not knowing what is available to be unlocked and what I need to do to unlock something is extremely frustrating. I don't spend time in Playground courses because I'm trying to learn these fundamentals. If I don't even know they are available I spend less time here.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:23 am

Hi Luck,

Thomas would be able to explain this concept better than me. And also what the future holds for it.

Email support@playgroundsessions.com and I'll copy him on the request.
Andrew Wegierski

Music Arranger

RymeIntrinseca

Post by RymeIntrinseca » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:21 pm

After completing all the scales and chords exercises ages ago, I have not seen anymore unlocking of exercises. For example, I would find arpeggio's and two octave scales useful right now.

I find myself drifting awaiting new challenges, after completing all the exercises but nothing new opens up.

So far I am at level 50. To get here I've completed the Rookie and Intermediate Bootcamps many months ago. I completed all the scales exercises before Christmas, and all chord exercises long before that. Also, I've completed many of the other supplementary exercises and now am stuck waiting for new challenges. I have also tried to maintain a high score throughout, by far 100% or just under for most of the time - all depending on the time I have available to perfect my technique and competence.

How can I move onto more challenging scores if I can't practice new material or not have access to more motivation? My learning feels like it being held back because the system cannot push me further at the level I'm at - Intermediate or thereabouts.

What is the criteria to unlock exercises? I thought it would unlock at the end of a course of exercises. The 'surprise' unlocking of bonus is fine but when playing for extended periods and completing work set, it is frustrating not being able to understand how far one has to go to get fresh material.

I find myself thinking of going back to a metronome and paper scores rather than pay per month for no access to new material from which to progress.

Thank you if you can advise.

Mark

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:30 pm

Hi there,

I understand. First I'll say that the two octave scales course is in the testing stage and it'll be added to the app soon.

For more challenging material, we just added Harry Connick Jr to the team, and he's going to be putting out a lot of lessons for us, including advanced ones. Some of them are already available.

The criteria are a little involved, and I'm not allowed to disclose it, but it sounds like you've unlocked all that's available.

One octave scales, Chords practice, 50 famous melodies, both hands practice, and reading sheet music.

There are also new advanced arrangements being released every week.

Best
Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Music Arranger

aaronv

Post by aaronv » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:30 pm

Any ETA for when the 2 octave course is coming? I think you guys should just release the courses iteratively, like first without all the videos (just the final course with fingering), and then you add all the videos in (if you wanted to).

Honestly I'm just looking for more fingering practice and don't mind not having videos or lessons going over each part of the sheet music or even 0 backing track. I just dont want to be having to search things on youtube.

The chords courses and the courses in general have been great, just wish there was more content. I'm looking forward for the new platform, and I hope y'all get some nice $$$ to get more content in than flowkey.

Swampfox

Post by Swampfox » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:17 pm

Scales, scales, scales.
There should be Ionian and Aeolian two octave scales in 8ths and 16ths. You really don't need to have extensive tutorials, just a quick explanation of the transitions. Anyone doing these drills should have already been practicing the one octave scales and able to play them consistently at a minimum of 150 BPM if not at the programs limit of 300 BPM.
There should also be melodic and harmonic minor scales. There should be pentatonic major and minor scales. These are the basics.

IMO, you also should have more advanced harmony courses where there are drills for common progressions with the major, minor, and dominant 7ths as well as their inversions just like you have for triads.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:20 pm

aaronv, I would email support@playgroundsessions.com for an update on the 2 octave scales. Not sure what the status is - i don't do any work on the courses myself.

Swampfox, appreciate the suggestion. this would be good to email too, but I'm sure the content team is already aware of this.
Andrew Wegierski

Music Arranger