Theory tests /quizzes

Let us know which features you'd like to see added to Playground Sessions.
aaronv

Theory tests /quizzes

Post by aaronv » Sat May 14, 2016 11:19 am

Some of these lessons could have a "fill in the blank" for notes, etc so people can memorize them better.

You could also have lessons at the beginner level where people have to say the note instead of playing it (or both), and you can analyze the microphone audio to figure out what note they said and score them based on that. It should be relatively easy to implement speech recognition of the names of notes.

davidsides
Site Admin

Re: Theory tests /quizzes

Post by davidsides » Tue May 24, 2016 11:23 am

Good idea. I'll forward this to the team.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:51 am

I'd like to second this. Playing music is largely muscle memory. Understanding music, though, and advancing to greater proficiency reading it, requires mental memory. I recall an article on Piano Pedagogy about using flash cards and other devices with young and/or beginning students. A computer screen can be the ultimate flash card environment.

I can see several options: a midi mode where you play the notation flashed on the screen, and computer mode where you type the note name, and an audio mode that listens for you to say the note name. This last might be beyond the scope of what's reasonably possible (throw enough time and money and nearly everything is possible). Your score would be based on how quickly you answer.

Many piano education programs have a "duck hunt" style more where the notes march on screen from the right and you have to play them before they reach the left. I see this having a timer that scores you based on how quickly you play the note. I don't expect to see it as actual ducks marching onto the staff as the previously referenced programs do. You would take points off for incorrect notes to prevent a shotgun approach to scoring well.

This is different from the mode where you see all the notes on the staff already and you play them in time to the tempo, but are more like the flash card mode where you try to recognize the correct notes quickly. As you advance you might encounter chords and notes from both clefts that you would play together.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:06 am

Thanks for the insight. I like the "duck hunt" idea that you have. We actually spent some time creating games that operated this exact way. I'm not sure how soon they'll be added as we've since shifted gears to other more pressing things, but it's safe to say that we'll be adding something similar to this in the near future! :)