Trying out the iPad version

General user help and bug reports for Playground Sessions for iPad tablets
davidsides
Site Admin

Re: Trying out the iPad version

Post by davidsides » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:19 pm

tadiorio wrote:Not sure it is a keydoard related issue. I had same thing with my Yamaha PS-115. I thought it was a straight forward USB connection. Nah, too easy :lol: Sounds to me like you are going to need the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter.
Ahh.. the P-115. That's the same keyboard I have. It's a beauty!

Yeah, you're going to need the Lightning to USB camera adapter.

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:22 pm

PlaygroundSLP wrote:Trying to connect an iPad running iOS 10.1.1 to my Yamaha CVP-505 to use the new App. The CVP has both a "USB to Host" and a "USB to Device" Port. I've tried using the recommended "Host to USB" cable to a "USB to lightning adapter that the email you sent me suggested. The App won't recognize the notes played on my keyboard and turns the note on the IPad screen red as though I played the incorrect middle C. I would appreciate any assistance. Thank you!!!
Got it.

When you connect to the iPad, do you notice anything popping up that says you're connected? When you play any keys, do you get sound coming out of your iPad?

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:30 pm

burnsgw wrote:I am having the same issue in that the app is not recognizing my device (Yamaha arius 240). I tried keyboard to iPad connection using my USB-apple charge cord. I have broken down and purchased the apple lightening connector but now need to also purchase the male USB to male USB cord to try it out. How come with the lightening connection this will work (hopefully)? Want to understand the mechanics of this extra intermediary before sending my husband out on a hunt for it. Also this now adding to cost ($30 for lightening, $30 For USB connector).
Seems that there are still many things to work out when using the iPad as your primary device. Willing to tackle a learning curve but need better directions rather than relying on forum post questions.
So it sounds like your keyboard has both a USB to Device port and a USB to Host port. This can be a bit deceiving. The USB to Device port is shaped just like the USB ports you would find on your computer, which is why your iPhone charger cable fits in it. This port is used for transferring files (like music files, documents, etc.).

The USB to Host port, which is shaped more like a square, is used for transferring MIDI signal between your keyboard and whatever it's connected to. This is the port you'll need to use to allow Playground to know what you're playing.

The cable you'll need to connect your keyboard with the iPad is a USB A to USB B cable like this: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB ... 59&sr=1-13

Once you have that, and the adapter that corresponds with your iPad's charging port, then you'll be all set.

NobodyMuscian

Post by NobodyMuscian » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:12 pm

seant23 wrote:Hi Charles,

No worries, videos will be coming soon. We had to leave them out for now, because Apple doesn't allow our current DRM system to be used (for some random reason). So we are hard at work converting the videos and reworking our video player for both desktop and iPad to accommodate this.
Yeah, I have a MAJOR issue with this. Your ipad app is advertised as having "all the features" of the desktop version. I just bought it because of this, I can't use the desktop version with my setup. Now I want my money back, totally lame.

NobodyMuscian

Post by NobodyMuscian » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:16 pm

I come to the forum, it won't even let me create a new topic so I am posting this here as it's ipad related.

This is my experience thus far with Piano Sessions.
I came in through Ipad as it's really how I want to play and learn.
Everything is okay, but after I finish a lesson, this is what I have to do to go to the next one:
First the accuracy window comes up and tell me my score...great. But from here I can only do three things, I can click retry, okay, or close the window. (Okay does the same as close the window). But why not have a link to the next lesson here? So now, I close the accuracy window, then click close, then click on the lesson, then click play the lesson, then the staff is too small on my horizontal ipad, so I have to make the ipad vertical, then horizontal again so the staff is big enough to read, then it sometimes works if I didn't disconnect a cable while twisting my ipad....This software is supposed to sell the point you learn off of playing, but I spend more time getting the next lesson to play then I do playing. 4 clicks plus some ipad movement between every lesson...this just isn't happening the way I expected, or that it should. I'm glad I only bought a month, I will be cancelling for sure until you address this.

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:40 pm

NobodyMuscian wrote:I come to the forum, it won't even let me create a new topic so I am posting this here as it's ipad related.

This is my experience thus far with Piano Sessions.
I came in through Ipad as it's really how I want to play and learn.
Everything is okay, but after I finish a lesson, this is what I have to do to go to the next one:
First the accuracy window comes up and tell me my score...great. But from here I can only do three things, I can click retry, okay, or close the window. (Okay does the same as close the window). But why not have a link to the next lesson here? So now, I close the accuracy window, then click close, then click on the lesson, then click play the lesson, then the staff is too small on my horizontal ipad, so I have to make the ipad vertical, then horizontal again so the staff is big enough to read, then it sometimes works if I didn't disconnect a cable while twisting my ipad....This software is supposed to sell the point you learn off of playing, but I spend more time getting the next lesson to play then I do playing. 4 clicks plus some ipad movement between every lesson...this just isn't happening the way I expected, or that it should. I'm glad I only bought a month, I will be cancelling for sure until you address this.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and I completely understand your frustration. This is something that we're going to be addressing and fixing, although I don't have an exact timeline. Shoot me an email when you get a chance, I'd love to get more of your thoughts about your experience: david@playgroundsessions.com

GlobularMass

Post by GlobularMass » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:34 pm

seant23 wrote:Videos should be ready in a few weeks.

We already have the new system in place, but need to re-encode all the existing videos for the new setup.
It has been more than a few weeks since this response but I am not seeing any video in the iPad app. Any update on when it will be available there?

Seakestrel

Post by Seakestrel » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:14 pm

Hi
Just joined PGS and have my Ipad connected and working with my Keyboard (A PSR-S670) and whilst I'm enjoying the practicing - I was wondering where the video's are that are shown on the PC versions and on youtube. Is there any news as to when we can expect these for Ipad as this was one of the reasons that I decided to purchase Playgound Sessions over the other programs.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:45 pm

USB is a Server-Client setup. Your desktop, laptop, tablet and phone are the server, flash drives, external hard drives, keyboards, mice, cameras, music keyboards and so on are the clients.

Interestingly tablets and phones are also clients depending on the circumstance. To be a server android tablets and phones use an On-The-Go adapter and iOS devices use the Camera Adapter Kit. These cables/adapters plug into the micro usb and lightning ports on the tablet or phone and provide a USB Type-A socket at the other end.

At a minimum, then you need TWO cables to connect an iPad to your music keyboard - the Camera Adapter Kit cable and the standard USB printer cable (which most keyboards use as their "To Host" cable). The "To Host" is used where you want the keyboard to be the client (that is, controlled by software on the computing device not on the keyboard).

The "To Device" port on your keyboard is to control USB Flash Drives, primarily so that you can load songs from the flash drive into the keyboard.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

GlobularMass

Post by GlobularMass » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:29 pm

davidsides wrote:
PlaygroundSLP wrote:Trying to connect an iPad running iOS 10.1.1 to my Yamaha CVP-505 to use the new App. The CVP has both a "USB to Host" and a "USB to Device" Port. I've tried using the recommended "Host to USB" cable to a "USB to lightning adapter that the email you sent me suggested. The App won't recognize the notes played on my keyboard and turns the note on the IPad screen red as though I played the incorrect middle C. I would appreciate any assistance. Thank you!!!
Got it.

When you connect to the iPad, do you notice anything popping up that says you're connected? When you play any keys, do you get sound coming out of your iPad?
I am having this same issue and the settings in the app show it is connected and if i turn the keyboard off it gives me a message saying it is disconnected and when i turn it back on the ipad app says it is connected. My keyboard also has a keyboard out setting which I made sure was on, though I also tried with it off. When I play keys no sound comes from my iPad though other sounds like playing a key on the onscreen keyboard or the music that plays along with the practice do. And when playing the practice it always shows the notes as red and gives me a score of 0%.