Sound problems w iPad

General user help and bug reports for Playground Sessions for iPad tablets
Drjustin

Sound problems w iPad

Post by Drjustin » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:42 am

I am using a the USB cable and adapter and sometimes the sound works and sometimes it doesn't. It is difficult to start on time since is cannot hear the count. The videos have sound and the app is recognizing the midi signal registering the notes properly. The app sound works intermittently. I have updated the iOS and app, but problem persists.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you, Justin

seant23
Site Admin

Re: Sound problems w iPad

Post by seant23 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:01 pm

Hey Justin,

I would suggest going into the Settings -> Playback and trying a different sample rate.

We will be adding in a audio limiter soon to help avoid this issue.

Miles

Post by Miles » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:14 pm

I'm having a lot of trouble with the iPad sound as well. I'm using a Yamaha P-115 and an iPad Air 2.

It's frustrating because I want to incorporate it into my daily practice routine, but sometimes the sound will work and sometimes it won't. Before it cuts out, I'll hear a loud click and pop and then it becomes completely unresponsive.

I've tried everything from reinstalling the app, changing cables, force quitting all other applications, changing the order of how I connect things and turn things on, playing with settings, etc.

I've come to the conclusion that it's a software bug. I realize that the app is still in beta and I hope this problem is recognized and a solution is being worked on.

The Mac app isn't practical for me to use because I'd have to set it up off to the side of my piano and turn my head to look at it which is incredibly uncomfortable.

Snoopycafe

Post by Snoopycafe » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:11 pm

I have the exact same problem with my iPad Pro 9.7 (10.3.3), Williams Allegro, no sound from the iPad. It's recognizing the piano key presses just fine.

If I reboot the app, I can hear the count down once, then afterward silence. However, metronome and demo mode do NOT work at all.
This would be piano training nirvana if they get the iPad app working.

Please fix this.

keb313

Post by keb313 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:59 pm

I also am unable to hear sound from the ipad anymore.
Initially, I was able to hear sound for all elements - video, lead ins, accompaniment, metronome. It was great.
Then the app froze.
Restart - no sound. Reinstall - no sound.

This renders Playground Sessions unusable. What is the fix for this issue?

Thanks!

Snoopycafe

Post by Snoopycafe » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:42 am

Miles wrote:I'm having a lot of trouble with the iPad sound as well. I'm using a Yamaha P-115 and an iPad Air 2.

It's frustrating because I want to incorporate it into my daily practice routine, but sometimes the sound will work and sometimes it won't. Before it cuts out, I'll hear a loud click and pop and then it becomes completely unresponsive.

I've tried everything from reinstalling the app, changing cables, force quitting all other applications, changing the order of how I connect things and turn things on, playing with settings, etc.

I've come to the conclusion that it's a software bug. I realize that the app is still in beta and I hope this problem is recognized and a solution is being worked on.

The Mac app isn't practical for me to use because I'd have to set it up off to the side of my piano and turn my head to look at it which is incredibly uncomfortable.
Miles, I agree with you. I'm using a workaround by mirroring my desktop monitor display to the iPad using an app call WiDisplay: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wi-disp ... 38520?mt=8
Secondly, somewhere in this forum, I read that pressing the Left and Rightmost keys concurrently starts and restarts lessons, it works. Combined with the C (Replay) and D (Next) shortcuts this allows me to get through entire lessons without before having to switch over to the desktop.

thomas1018
Site Admin

Post by thomas1018 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:08 pm

Hey all,

We will not be updating the iPad anytime soon. On Memorial Day, our head of technology tragically passed away trying to save a young girl from drowning in a river in Utah. We are working to hire a new developer to fill in for him. It is an important role so it's going to take some time to find the right replacement. Our expectation is it's also going to take the new developer (or team of developers) to get familiar enough with the entire program before we start to push new builds to fix bugs and add new features.

Hope you understand!

mjmst102

Post by mjmst102 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:23 pm

The accident sounded tragic, and it seems like PS lost a very talented software designer.
I too am having trouble getting a consistent connection, output/sound with my Yamaha YPG-535 and 1st gen IPad Pro. I thought I had read through plenty PS forums and Facebook posts about the IPad being great for PS. I even bought the expensive proprietary Apple adapter cable and now I am frustrated beyond belief spending hours trying to consistently get it going. I purposely bought such a large screen iPad for the app, and now that it's not working well, I feel stuck with a very $$$ device that I otherwise didn't want/need. I may end up selling it for a small loss and find a stand for a laptop. I liked the idea of using a tablet/iPad because it fit perfectly on the music holder. Our space is small. Kids running through the house. I didn't want a laptop sitting on top of a keyboard in a precarious position. We don't have space or set-up to add a monitor. I have tried all of the tips and tricks in this thread to no avail. Even the wireless connection app (the delay was too long between the laptop and the iPad). If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know before I give up entirely!

Snoopycafe

Post by Snoopycafe » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:16 pm

The iPad app works great until the sound (count in / accompaniment) cuts out, which happens often. It seems that the MIDI out to the iPad speakers overpowers the sound engine and it cuts out. As a workaround, if I have the iPad connected to Bluetooth (BT) output (speaker or headset), the sound no longer cuts out because it appears to be rerouted through BT.
I can hear the app accompaniment through the headset. I reduce the app Piano volume and increase the actual piano volume so I can hear the piano outside of the headphones, which basically eliminates any latency.

The BT out workaround along with pressing the "D" key to continue to the next lesson, has greatly increased my productivity when using the iPad. PS still needs to fix the app issues but according to support, it may take a while.

Taz

Post by Taz » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:52 am

Hi everyone,

Firstly I'm so sorry to hear about the tragic accident that took the life of your colleague.

I just wanted to post to those having trouble with the sound working on initial start up of the app, but then silence from then on...

I went into settings and under Volume, turned the volume for "Piano" all the way down to nothing and increase the others to their max. This seemed to fix the problem for me.

I hope you all have some luck!

Today is my first day using the program and I'm loving it!

:)