Using a Piano

General user help and bug reports for Playground Sessions for iPad tablets
markymark

Using a Piano

Post by markymark » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:42 pm

Hi,

I have recently bought the membership to Playground Sessions and really like the desktop app. I have a midi keyboard plugged into my computer and it works great.

I also have a digital piano in another room and would like to use the iPad app with the digital piano.

I've tried both Yousician and Piano Maestro and they are both able to hear the notes played by the piano.

Can the playground sessions use the microphone to hear the notes, or am I able to connect the iPad and piano using bluetooth?

Thanks.

Mark

andrewwegierski

Re: Using a Piano

Post by andrewwegierski » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:06 am

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately, no, the microphone will not be able to hear the notes, because we don't offer pitch detection.

Bluetooth also causes problems right now as well.

If you would like to use the iPad, you'll just need this Apple adapter: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD82 ... ra-adapter

The connection path is as follows:

Keyboard - MIDI or USB cable - Apple adapter - iPad.

Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

markymark

Post by markymark » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:47 pm

Thanks Andrew,

I'll get the adapter and hopefully bluetooth is something that will come in the near future :)

Mark

justinluck

Post by justinluck » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:48 am

Hi Andrew, I have an iPad Pro 12.9 2017 with iOS 12 with latest updates and a Roland FP-30 with latest firmware. How do I get the Playground Sessions to recognize the Roland? I can connect the keyboard through Bluetooth and it shows up in the iOS Settings menu, but not in the Playground Sessions (PS) app.

I also connected the iPad directly via the lightning-to-usb to the USB port on the back of the FP-30, but I do not see the keyboard appear in the PS app. Like you mentioned to Mark, do I need to buy the lightning-to-female usb adapter and a usb-to- Midi cable?

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:13 pm

Hi Justin,

Yep. Bluetooth doesn't always work, and connecting your iPad to the keyboard using just an apple cable won't allow it to transmit MIDI data.

Best,
Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:45 am

I have this cable for the iPad: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W ... r?fnode=91

I then use a standard USB Type-A to USB Type-B like this one: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB ... pe+b+cable

I haven't tried the iPad on my new keyboard yet - so if it isn't working now I'll post a follow-up (well, I might also post one if it does work - wouldn't want to keep everyone waiting). But the old keyboard, which was a Yamaha YPG-635, worked fine with the same cables before so I expect it to keep working. Whether the Roland works as well is still undetermined. I would suggest having the iPad "forget" the pairing and see if you can find it with the wired connection then. Also turn the Bluetooth function of the FP-30 off. The Bluetooth connection might be confusing the iPad and the Playground Sessions App.

Which reminds me, I need to test with Android again, now that my digital piano should be "MIDI Class Compliant."
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:28 pm

Update, I did test my iPad Air on the latest iOS 12.1. It was happy with my Camera Connection Kit and USB "Printer" cable. I don't have a Roland FP-30 to test with, sadly.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

Harryleo

Post by Harryleo » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:54 pm

Add even greater capability and versatility to your iPad Pro by powering the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter with a USB Power Adapter. Then you can connect USB peripherals like hubs, Ethernet adapters, audio/MIDI interfaces, and card readers for CompactFlash, SD, microSD, and more.
The Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter supports standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW, along with SD and HD video formats, including H.264 and MPEG-4.