Best way to connect Casio AP260 to iPad

General user help and bug reports for Playground Sessions for iPad tablets
DrPips

Best way to connect Casio AP260 to iPad

Post by DrPips » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:22 pm

Hi all,

I’m looking to get my wife a years subscription to either playground sessions or Flowkey. I realise I’m posting on the playground forum so answers will be biased, but I’d ont really mind. What are the differences between them? She is a total beginner, can’t read music either.

Also, what’s the best way to connect an iPad to the piano? It has a usb type B connector. Do I need to get the camera kit? Could I get a Bluetooth adaptor?

Thanks,
Dom

sw1tch73ch

Re: Best way to connect Casio AP260 to iPad

Post by sw1tch73ch » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:19 pm

You do have to get something like the camera kit for the iPad. I did for mine (I got the bigger more expensive one that lets me charge the iPad while connecting to another USB device). I think it was this one: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W ... ra-adapter

Then you need a normal USB printer cable (oddly enough) that is Type A to Type B. Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB ... 9331&psc=1

Then plug the cables in where appropriate.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:11 pm

Thanks, John.

This Apple adapter also works https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD82 ... ra-adapter

(and it's $10 cheaper! woo!)
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:16 pm

Yeah that's the "baby" version of mine. But it is also less expensive.

I guess I'm paranoid about power, since I leave my iPad "lonely" for long stretches and when I setup to use it, the battery is often low. So having the more expensive adapter with power pass through is good for me. Not everyone needs it - a fresh charge on an iPad will last hours and hours.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

DrPips

Post by DrPips » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:52 am

Would this do it as just one thing? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lightning-Conn ... ning+cable

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:53 pm

I don't know that brand name. And I haven't tested anything like it, so can't personally vouch for it.

That said, It looks like it should work - the important part is it does list OTG (On The Go), which is what the Camera Kit does. And it has good reviews over-all. I'm not sure about the one "Does not fit" review / comment - if your device has a lightning port, you'd think it would fit. Maybe that reviewer had an older iPad with the 30 pin connector

-- jbs --

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:57 pm

No, do not purchase that item. We are unable to verify if it would work or not.

The recommended set up is

USB A-to-B cable, followed by
Apple adapter (that we linked above).

I know it might be troublesome to have two items in the set up, but that's just the way it is and there's nothing I can do about it.

That's the way that I know Playground will work for sure!
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com