As The Name Implies...

Introduce yourself to the Playground Community.
SonOfBob

As The Name Implies...

Post by SonOfBob » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:37 am

Greetings from sunny SW Florida ! Just signed up for Playground Sessions and thought I'd drop in to introduce myself to the community. My story is an interesting one that some might enjoy....

I was adopted in Lubbock, Texas as an infant, and recently discovered my birth father's identity in September of 2015 through the magic of DNA science (with the help of my super-sleuth bride and others). Oral history from my adoptive parents was that my birth parents were "young street musicians" in Lubbock. Now we know my First Father was a rascal named Bobby LaRoy Montgomery. http://www.kevinmontgomery.com/2014/12/ ... ssed-away/

Sadly, Bob Montgomery passed away from Parkinson's disease just eight months prior to our discovery. The good news - his surviving family has welcomed me into the extended with open arms, sharing photos and stories of this talented man. You see, Bob Montgomery was best friends with another Lubbock rascal named Buddy Holly....yeah, THAT Buddy Holly. They played together for a time as "Buddy and Bob" with their own radio show on KDAV radio in Lubbock, and even opened for Elvis at the famed Cotton Club. Turns out, Buddy Holly grew up just a few blocks from my boyhood home in Lubbock.

Bob's ex-wife, Carol Montgomery, has also a session and backup singer for Elvis, the Everly Brothers, Bob Dylan, and many more. I now refer to her as my "adoptive step-mom", and we are quite close. For Christmas last year, Carol gave me a framed publicity photo of Dorothy Moore promoting Bob's big R&B hit, "Misty Blue", now ranked #2 on iTunes list of all time R&B hits. Inside the frame, I found the original sheet music to Misty Blue ! it now hangs above my keyboard as a reminder that the musical DNA runs deep in the genes. I also have two new sisters and a brother to love. Life is good, and God is great !

With all that in mind, I have resumed private piano lessons with a great local instructor, and signed up for Playground Sessions as a method of filling in some of the blanks lost after a 50-year hiatus from the piano. Wish me luck - I have some really big shoes to fill !

John

davidsides
Site Admin

Re: As The Name Implies...

Post by davidsides » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:57 pm

Hey, John. Nice to meet you.

Wow, talk about a story! It's so cool that you were able to find your and to hear about the music he's been a part of. I'm happy that you've joined our community and are using our program to help you along your musical journey, which it seems you were destined to travel on given your family's musical history.

We look forward to you interacting with others here on our forum, and don't be afraid to record yourself playing and sharing it with the community!

SonOfBob

Re: As The Name Implies...

Post by SonOfBob » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:53 pm

Thanks for the welcome - I look forward to lurking and contributing :)