Hello!

Introduce yourself to the Playground Community.
Silent

Hello!

Post by Silent » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:57 pm

Hello everyone! Nice to meet you!

I am a 34 year-old Italian researcher based in Belgium.

I used to take piano lessons as a child and was quite good at it. I am not really sure why I stopped at one point - I guess my parents decided I had to focus more on my school homework. It's a pity because I haven't been playing for years... until at one point my boyfriend decided to buy me a keyboard and a subscription to Playground sessions :)

I really enjoy it. It's fun, it always seems like playing a game and I see that I learn quite quickly.

Just a few considerations:

1) I tried to re-study some classical pieces I used to play well (e.g. Beethoven), but I'm quite confused: the scores are always a little different from the original ones, and my procedural memory would rather do them the way I learned them the first time.

2) When I learn a new piece with Playground Sessions I tend to rely really a lot on what I see on the screen, which is good because I am always sure I'm getting the exact right tempo. However, I am completely unable to play without reading the score. If I close my laptop, I remember NOTHING of the piece. Does this get any better?

Looking forward to sharing experiences with you guys!

davidsides
Site Admin

Re: Hello!

Post by davidsides » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:19 pm

Silent wrote:Hello everyone! Nice to meet you!

I am a 34 year-old Italian researcher based in Belgium.

I used to take piano lessons as a child and was quite good at it. I am not really sure why I stopped at one point - I guess my parents decided I had to focus more on my school homework. It's a pity because I haven't been playing for years... until at one point my boyfriend decided to buy me a keyboard and a subscription to Playground sessions :)

I really enjoy it. It's fun, it always seems like playing a game and I see that I learn quite quickly.

Just a few considerations:

1) I tried to re-study some classical pieces I used to play well (e.g. Beethoven), but I'm quite confused: the scores are always a little different from the original ones, and my procedural memory would rather do them the way I learned them the first time.

2) When I learn a new piece with Playground Sessions I tend to rely really a lot on what I see on the screen, which is good because I am always sure I'm getting the exact right tempo. However, I am completely unable to play without reading the score. If I close my laptop, I remember NOTHING of the piece. Does this get any better?

Looking forward to sharing experiences with you guys!
Hey! It's nice to meet you. :)

We're happy to hear that you're having a good time in our program and we look forward to hearing more about your experience. :)

To address your questions:

1. Our store doesn't currently feature the original version of Classical pieces. However, we do have plans of adding the originals.

2. We're going to be adding some more lessons designed to help users improve their counting and tempo when reading sheet music. Keep an eye out for those.