What's good everyone

Introduce yourself to the Playground Community.
Brooklyn80s

What's good everyone

Post by Brooklyn80s » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:23 pm

What's good everyone?....

First thing first, to David Sides I'm "sooutstanding31" that was commenting on your lollipop video about 2 months ago. I told you I'll be one of your student soon on Playground Sessions :D I have an ear for music and your piano skills sound the most similar to the sound out of most of the people on Youtube. Congratulations brother I wish you nothing but more success in life.

Hey this is my first time posting on here, I'm new to piano like many other people on here, but I'm also in my early 30s. I kept on pushing off piano lessons because I felt like I was too old to learn it. Then guess what?.... I kept on getting older without learning the piano so age doesn't matter :lol: . I'm from Brooklyn, NY...I have no family memebers nor friends that play any instruments. For the most part I was surrounded by other people like myself wishing that we can play an instrument but never took the time out to learn any instruments. I took 1 music course in college, I got a "B" in it. It was so long ago I don't even remember what I was taught, I major in Psychology (which I regret :evil: ).

I bought a Yamaha DGX-660 after New Years as a late Christmas gift and early birthday gift to myself. As much as I paid for this digital piano I had to make it a 2 in 1 gift for myself :lol:

Being a female, most guys hate the fact that I know about cars (guess it's a men pride thing). So I had a friend whos father is a musician and teach music at a high school. The father's car had lots of problems. I did some work to the car that took about 6 hours to do. I did not want any money, I wanted piano lessons in exchange for working on the car. Long story short, I had a fallen out with the friend and never got the piano lesson from the father :cry:

On Playground Session so far I'm only on Level 9. I decided to go back to the beginning and play again this time with just the notes, no numbers. I wish everyoen the best in their music journey.

2Sweet4er

Re: What's good everyone

Post by 2Sweet4er » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:49 pm

Hey, just read your post and felt compelled to reply :D

I a more mature female, that just loves music also, and have dance around with playing on and off for years and never quite got beyond the basics.

I like you treated myself to one of the premier keyboards Yamaha DGS-660 because I felt like it I invest all this money, I would be committed to the process :)

I'm fighting the urge to purchase all these add-ons; however I'm finding that I need the Midi connector and the USB Lan add-ons to record my lessons and to use with my iPad.

Have you gone and invested in either of these yet? I'm thinking about the iRing for the Midi so that I can have the charging capabilities versus the camera kit which will drain my iPad during use.

Well, this is just a brief note to let you know you are not out there swimming in the sea along, its others on the sea with you on your musical journey, here's to seeing you on the other side of musical journeys.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:06 am

Hello Brooklyn80s,

Welcome to Playground Sessions!

The desire to play music for yourself is one that will stick with you. There are a few of us here that didn't get around to lessons until much later in our lives. I had a few piano lessons in the early 70s. I had some accordion lessons before that... You can stop laughing now ... ;-)

I tried a few computer training programs over the years, but they often didn't make the upgrade to the next major versions of windows very well and I ended up not getting very far with them. Playground sessions looks to be a keeper, though, and I've worked my way about half way through the rookie set.

The only advice, besides keep practicing, is to use the tempo tool to start the hard parts at a slow speed. Slow it down until it is slow enough that you can successfully complete the lesson. You really want to practice doing it right, and not keep playing at a high speed practicing doing it wrong. Doing it correctly, even if slowing, pays off. Once you feel good with the song, increment the tempo a little at a time. I usually work at 5 to 10 BPM increments when the piece is particularly difficult for me.

I really like the keyboard you chose to gift yourself with. I have an older version of that line; mine has fewer of the bells and whistles. I do like how it feels and sounds though.

Enjoy!
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

Brooklyn80s

Post by Brooklyn80s » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:18 pm

Thank you both for the reply.

2Sweet4er....I haven't bought an IPad yet, and my digital piano has a recorder on it. I haven't used it yet, but i would much rather used something like an IPad or my digital camera to record. This way I'm able to see my form. I would try with my digital camera first, but I need to buy a tripod for it. I have th Nikon D5300. I never used it for videos only photography. This would be a great way to test out the video on it, hopefully it souds great. So far I'm using playground session on my laptop. But I would much rather have a tablet so it can sit on the "sheet music stand" I'm not sure what the correct name of that stand that's why I put the " " :lol:

sw1tch73ch .... thanks for the advice and sharing your story. I have purchase the lifetime membership with playground. I also just wrote a little pratice chart. I saw it online and decided to copy it. it's basically the major scales, follow by the number of times to do it, follow by the days of the week. But it's in a chart format. I do plan on doing the grade exams when I'm much better. I don't know why :roll: guess it's for bragging rights and self accomplishment :geek:

veecc

Post by veecc » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:42 pm

Brooklyn80s wrote:Thank you both for the reply.

2Sweet4er....I haven't bought an IPad yet, and my digital piano has a recorder on it. I haven't used it yet, but i would much rather used something like an IPad or my digital camera to record. This way I'm able to see my form. I would try with my digital camera first, but I need to buy a tripod for it. I have th Nikon D5300. I never used it for videos only photography. This would be a great way to test out the video on it, hopefully it souds great. So far I'm using playground session on my laptop. But I would much rather have a tablet so it can sit on the "sheet music stand" I'm not sure what the correct name of that stand that's why I put the " " :lol:

sw1tch73ch .... thanks for the advice and sharing your story. I have purchase the lifetime membership with playground. I also just wrote a little pratice chart. I saw it online and decided to copy it. it's basically the major scales, follow by the number of times to do it, follow by the days of the week. But it's in a chart format. I do plan on doing the grade exams when I'm much better. I don't know why :roll: guess it's for bragging rights and self accomplishment :geek:
Hey Brooklyn 80s... Can you possibly share your practice chart somehow? Im in the process of making some for myself. Honestly, I am a nerd and I feel the need to make study sheets for everything. :geek: :lol: