Hello Newbie here

Introduce yourself to the Playground Community.
Djstuff

Hello Newbie here

Post by Djstuff » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:39 am

Hi everyone I'm new. Any guidance would be appreciated.

sw1tch73ch

Re: Hello Newbie here

Post by sw1tch73ch » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:27 pm

Hello Djstuff,

Welcome to Playground Sessions!

The best way to advise you is with some background... How much music training have you had, or are you a raw beginner (No wrong answers... LOL), what are your goals - do you want to play professionally eventually, or is this all just for fun? What systems are you using - music keyboard, computer system, and so on.

Basically, if you are a raw beginner, start at the very beginning - get a nice MIDI piano and the appropriate cables to connect it to your computer or tablet. Play the lessons at a slow tempo using the "metronome" settings - it doesn't judge you for starting slow. Work your way up to playing the lessons at full speed. It is up to you if you want to go for 100% on every lesson, or 90%, or some other number. If you practice long enough, you can probably manage 100%.

If you are looking for what equipment to buy, again it helps to know what your goals are. I think a 61 key keyboard is a good basic start, but I recommend a full size 88 key digital piano with "weighted hammer action" if you want to really learn piano.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

lawrence1.rice

Re: Hello Newbie here

Post by lawrence1.rice » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:34 am

I'm a neebie too (less than a month), but I'll share these observations with you. I am guessing that like me, you probably had thought of trying to learn piano for some time. I cannot compare this learning system to any other having no real musical background, and never learning to read music.

But... I am most certainly learning, and enjoying it in the process. I am around basic lesson #25 and section #10 on the freebie song "Lean on Me". I cannot believe how rapidly I am able to progress without it seeming like "hard work
". I'm finding that when listening to music on radio/video I'm hearing details that I never would have noticed before. I have a greater appriation for the details of tempo, rhthym and key.

You wanted to do this. As Nike says "just do it". Don't try to learn music, let the music teach you! One month ago I never would have believed I'd be at the point where I'm beginning to learn to read to separate lines of music at the same time (treble and bass cleff), get right and left hands simultaneously doing two entirely diferent things, or learning to shift hand position based simply on muscle memory - but I am.

Perhaps most important: don't try to rush through the lessions. If you need to repeat it 200 times or more, so what? Sooner or later it's gonna click and you're gonna have a spontaneous grin...

Regards,
Larry