New amateur musician

Introduce yourself to the Playground Community.
Alment

New amateur musician

Post by Alment » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:01 pm

Hi, I am an aspiring musician (for hobby) and I recently bought a subscription. I had some experience playing piano in the past but not very much. I mastered very quickly the first 40 or so lessons of the rookie tour, and only now I find some challenge with the 2 hands and changing positions combined.

I think that, apart from having fun (which is also important), a serious goal of a musician should always be composing music. Even at a basic form. And that's what I want to do, I eventually want to compose music as a hobby.

So yeah, I just wanted to introduce myself. Not sure if there is any good advice. I've already became familiar with the Bootcamp, how to slow the tempo if the exercise is hard etc. and I proceed only when I am sure I mastered the lesson. And I have a 61 keys keyboard.

sw1tch73ch

Re: New amateur musician

Post by sw1tch73ch » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Hello Alment and Welcome!

Everyone is different in their ability and goals, so take my advice with that in mind: Slow for me, if the lesson is particularly tough is about 1/4 speed. So I would start a piece that is full speed at 160 BPM with a beginning tempo of about 40. If the piece isn't too hard, I might do 1/3 speed. So a 160 BPM full speed would start at 54 BPM. If the piece looks reasonable simple, I'll just use the default slow speed on the slider.

If it is hard, I might increment the tempo by 8 BPM as I work up to the faster pace. So 40, 48, 56, 64 and so on. If I'm not having too much trouble, then I might increase by 16 or 20. If it is easy, I'll have just done the default slow and full speeds.

Working on the Game of Thrones Theme, in the Rookie section, I used the increase by 8, because my fingers were rebellious and refused to press the notes at the right time. I'm still working my way through the Game of Thrones lesson now.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --