a newbie

Introduce yourself to the Playground Community.
singh26

a newbie

Post by singh26 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:27 am

Just fixed the connection of my electronic yamaha keyboard with mac and got playground membership. Just wanted to say hello to all my friends. :)

sw1tch73ch

Re: a newbie

Post by sw1tch73ch » Thu May 25, 2017 7:26 pm

Hello Singh.

Welcome and congrats on the working keyboard and mac. That can sometimes be harder than playing the music.

There are a few tips to getting the most from the system.

1) Go slow, or at least start slow. You'll find a Tempo adjustment tool to let you go as slow as you need to. It is better to play the right notes slowly than to play the wrong notes quickly.

2) There is a "DEMO" tool that lets you have the computer play the lesson for your so you can hear how it should sound. This is music, your ears are one of the most important tools, use them! When you know what it should sound like you can often figure out how to make your own playing sound the same.

3) Chick Corea said in an interview that trying to play gracefully was important. To paraphrase him: Practice slowly like tai chi, do the moves, make them smooth, make them right (kind of ties to my point number 1), once you can play slowly gracefully, you'll find you can play faster, too. (From an interview with Keyboard Magazine: http://www.keyboardmag.com/artists/1236 ... ions/62834 - read his actual words there).

4) There are plenty of people here, on facebook, and on the support team. Use these resources when you get stuck or have troubles.

5) Perhaps most important of all: HAVE FUN! :)
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

jigglypuffer

Post by jigglypuffer » Mon May 29, 2017 6:51 am

Hello all
Just paid an annual subscription and looking forward to better progress with my keyboard playing. I've never played a musical instrument before trying a keyboard (I have a Korg PA 600), for the last year or so, but progress is slow and without direction.
cheers, jigglypuffer

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Tue May 30, 2017 11:51 am

Hi JigglyPuffer!

I think you'll find Playground Sessions an exciting way to learn to play on the keyboard. It will challenge you, so you will need to practice your patience, persistence and perseverance. I say it's all about the three P's. Wait, no, not those P's... I mean Practice, Practice, Practice.

If you find a piece hard, you can use the tempo controls to make it slow enough to manage. As your fingers get used to those motions, you can practice at a faster tempo and train you fingers at progressively faster tempos. I've mentioned before in other thread that it is more important to play the right notes slowly than to play the wrong notes fast. "Use the Tempo, JP"... to paraphrase a famous movie quote.

;-)
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --