New guy

Introduce yourself to the Playground Community.
KookyFox

New guy

Post by KookyFox » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:30 pm

Hey there! Just checking out the Forums a moment. Just subscribed to Piano Playground yesterday and figuring out what's what. :) Going to start my 'real' practice tomorrow. I've been playing about a year but still I'm going to be starting at the very beginning just to trust in the system and see if I can improve!

Was curious how much practice do people put in, or how much is recommended? I generally can get in about an hour a day, five days a week though on my own I often fear that I'm not practicing what I should be or maybe not in the 'right' way. It would stink to put in years of practice but never improve. :( So was curious what everyone else does?

sw1tch73ch

Re: New guy

Post by sw1tch73ch » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:47 pm

My goal is an hour a day, but with a flexible schedule depending on the lessons I'm currently working on. Sometimes I'm mentally or physically taxed by the particular lessons. Those days I try to make sure I get at least 30 minutes. But that doesn't mean I'm only spending thirty minutes in the program. The thirty minutes minimum I try to reach is the "credited" practice time. The program only counts your time when you are playing against the clock for points. If you have the sheet music up, familiarizing yourself with it, that isn't counted (for all the programs knows at that point is you went to get a sandwich).

If you've been playing for a while, you should progress through the first several lessons pretty quickly. They're still worth doing. I start slow and work my way to full speed. Once I can play at full tempo three times in a row at 100 percent, I consider it time to move to the next step or next lesson if that was the last step of the current lesson. You'll need to work out your own progression rules.

An hour a day sounds reasonable for the total time spent each day. If you can get to 1 hours of credited time each day, that'd be pretty good. I'm sitting right round 60 hours credited. When I first started the lessons, I found myself spending well over an hour just to get 10 or 15 minutes of credited time. I'm doing better now. :D Hopefully I'll actually make it to my goal of 1 hours a day / 5 days a week. Then it will be time to set a higher goal.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --