Hello, Music as a therapy in ageing

Introduce yourself to the Playground Community.
Chris.H

Hello, Music as a therapy in ageing

Post by Chris.H » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:20 am

Hi, I'm Chris, 70 years old and just now starting to learn music as a way to help keep the brain in shape, stay challenged and generally keep the neurons flowing as I age.

A digital piano with headphones is ideally suited to ageing apartment dwellers. As our hearing fails we can just turn the volume up!
The extensive use of the fingers also helps to keep arthritis from taking over and locking up our knuckles.
Old folk often cannot sleep and it is surprising how a little piano practice at 3am can not only be very pleasant, but also set you up for a relaxing sleep.

I am not in a hurry, I have no schedule; I sit at the piano whenever I feel like it. I play for myself only and just want to have a bit of fun and keep progressing and Playground keeps nudging me along.

I encourage Playground Sessions to develop for the elderly market, our lifetime subscriptions will not force you into bankruptcy.

If they ever come to haul me away to one of those final places where old people go, I hope they bring my piano too.

Cheers

Chris
Victoria, BC

sw1tch73ch

Re: Hello, Music as a therapy in ageing

Post by sw1tch73ch » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:45 pm

Hello Chris and welcome!

The mantra on the Facebook community has often been "You're never too old to learn" and for many of the reasons you list.

I wish you great success and even more importantly, great enjoyment as you practice.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

truce

Re: Hello, Music as a therapy in ageing

Post by truce » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:51 pm

Music in aging. I'm 82. Just joined. Learned to play, poorly as a child, when they slapped your fingers if you did a bum note.
Took up piano again 5 years ago, classical piano at a Conservatory, passed to Level 6. Now, I'm doing as you say, using music as therapy. It is wonderful to go to the old Joanna, even a digital one, and wile away the hours. Thank you Playground.

Judith