Just getting started. Tips

Introduce yourself to the Playground Community.
Cdan

Just getting started. Tips

Post by Cdan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:36 am

Hi,

I'm just getting started. I was wondering should I use finger numbering at first or should I try to rmember notes? Any other advice would be appreciated, Thanks

andrewwegierski

Re: Just getting started. Tips

Post by andrewwegierski » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:05 pm

Hi there,

Firstly, welcome to Playground! We apologize for such a late response. I am helping manage the forums now, and we plan to stay much more on top of things in the future.

For getting started, I recommend going through the rookie Boot camp lessons, and definitely with the finger numbering on at first. It's important to pay attention to detail and make sure note by note that you're using the right fingering. As you get more comfortable with correct fingerings, you may wish to turn them off.

Let me know if you have any other questions or thoughts!

Best,
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

sw1tch73ch

Re: Just getting started. Tips

Post by sw1tch73ch » Thu May 10, 2018 10:56 pm

Hello Cdan! Welcome from a fellow student and PGS subscriber/customer. Whichever the correct term is. I think of us as family, regardless.

My take on Finger Numbers is go ahead and use them for at least the first quarter to first half of the Rookie Lessons. If you feel adventurous turn them off and play with letter names or none selected after you've mastered them with the numbers on. Then after that first quarter or first half, even if you aren't feeling adventurous, you should still considering turning the numbers off as the final step to consider the lessons complete. I used them all the way through the Rookie Bootcamp.

If you feel lost with where to put your fingers as you progress, you can always use the finger numbers as a reference to study before you begin practicing.

Finally, remember that the finger numbers are "just suggestions" and not written in stone. If you feel comfortable using different fingers - go for it. Try it both ways, even. I find that the finger numbers are well considered and help you progress through the songs as they also help get your hands in the right positions to make the finger changes.

Good luck!
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --