Hello from Kentucky!

Introduce yourself to the Playground Community.
Steinway23M

Hello from Kentucky!

Post by Steinway23M » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:28 pm

Hello! I just joined Playground Sessions yesterday and am excited to rekindle my love for piano! I grew up playing the piano "by ear" until my grandmother later saw something in my musical ability and bought me a piano and paid for piano lessons for about 5 years! I later went on to play for church, weddings, funerals, other engagements --- then with other challenges in my life, I withdrew for playing much at all,

I am ready to re-energize my musical skills -- I was never very good at sight-reading and struggled with timing issues when I was trying to carry the complete song without any other accompanying instruments. So I feel Playground Sessions will be a big step for me to engage this near 55 year old brain!

Any encouragement, tips, ideas, and suggestions are all welcome!

sw1tch73ch

Re: Hello from Kentucky!

Post by sw1tch73ch » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:19 pm

Welcome "Steinway23M"!

First - learning to read music is a "You-Get-Out-What-You-Put-In" kind of thing. Playground Sessions is all about playing from sheet music. But you will have to do some homework on your own, too. Watch the videos where David covers Notation a few times each - until you are completely comfortable with what he presents. You have an advantage over many of us studying piano in that you probably have developed decent recognition of where the sounds of the Piano come from. If you have internalized the names of the notes on the keys, you have that step up. So knowing Middle C, knowing the twelve notes of each octave (C, D, E, F, G, A, B and the accidentals, flat and sharp) only needs translation to what the notes on the written music represent. If you know those but just read slowly, then really, you may only need to practice playing those notes at full tempo.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --