Hello from Youngstown

Introduce yourself to the Playground Community.
Judex

Hello from Youngstown

Post by Judex » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:06 am

Hi from the Rustbelt, made even rusty-er recently by the closing this week of the last auto plant in the area.

I'm new to the piano but I did trumpet until high school and French horn starting in middle school. Learning to read music while learning an instrument at the same time sounds like real work. After I finished high school a young cousin borrowed the the trumpet to learn on (but backed the car over it on the way out of the driveway), and I gave the town back the French horn when I graduated, and since then, only a little guitar.

It seems that we used to get a lot more music instruction in school than appears to be common these days - in third grade Misss Thompson had us singing do-mi-sol-do and finding "do" by counting down from "last flat fa" and (painfully) reading out the notes of the songs before we were allowed to sing them. She had an upright piano in the classroom, which wasn't out of the ordinary, as I remember. So reading music isn't a problem - just getting my fingers to the right keys at the right time is enough of a challenge. Today I started my first song - Blowin' in the Wind - and it's fun again - there's even a black key! I take that as a sign of progress.

andrewwegierski

Re: Hello from Youngstown

Post by andrewwegierski » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:58 pm

Welcome!

Thanks for sharing!
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com