Playing Chords

Introduce yourself to the Playground Community.
Winnipeg01

Playing Chords

Post by Winnipeg01 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:41 am

Hello Folks:

I just moved up to the Bootcamp Intermediate level and was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem I am having.
My fingers are short and when it comes to playing chords I find that on some chords such as CEG my fingers have to really stretch. Suppose to use fingers 1,3,5 but find my 4th finger when playing the chord keeps hitting a key causing a problem. Found that if I use fingers 1,2,4 I hit the chord with no problem. Is it natural to have to adjust your fingering method to meet the chord needs or is it vital to try and use the fingering line suggested.

Just curious.

SJunior22

Re: Playing Chords

Post by SJunior22 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:36 pm

Hi Winnipeg01!

Here's my thoughts; From beginner to intermediate-advanced, always follow the prescribed fingering charts. They are ment to teach the basics and train your hand (and mind) to playing chords/triads properly. Having short fingers may pose a challenge but not an impossible one. I would propose you play higher on the keys (next to the black keys), keep your wrists a little higher than level and play your chords that way.

When you start playing your inversions, your fingers are going to do alot of stretching until you get used to it. You want to follow the prescribed fingering charts because you may have to play a flat/sharp (black keys) with an availible finger and not cause a cramp in your hand.

I hope this helps a bit and I wish you all the best on your journey! :D