Hello from London

Introduce yourself to the Playground Community.
lesinlondon

Hello from London

Post by lesinlondon » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:59 pm

Hello from London to everyone out there in piano land. My name is Leslie (male, it's a male & female name in UK :D ).

I joined the Rookie course wondering how far I would get. I have a major disability (for a would be piano player). Little finger (pinkie) on right hand was lost in an accident when I was a child. Anyway, so far I am coping ok by using finger 4 (it gets a bit tricky sometimes). I have made it to Rookie level 12 in 4 days without too much trouble. I'm also getting on a bit, so not looking to become a concert pianist, just have some fun learning how to play some favourite tunes, or do my best to. The way I see things is, I can either do it, compromise.....or I can't, so just do what I can do. It has been interesting and fun and I feel I have achieved something with each level progression. Looking forward to continuing the journey. I'm making an effort to learn the theory also. I'll see how it goes.

My piano interests are mainly slow blues, jazz, and ambient. I have also recently discovered 'dark classical' music on youtube, which I find astonishingly wonderful. Well take care and enjoy your journey and playing. Les.

pavel

Re: Hello from London

Post by pavel » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:14 am

doesn't really matter how many fingers you have
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OCb-HOV5gM
anyhow welcome :)

sw1tch73ch

Re: Hello from London

Post by sw1tch73ch » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:58 am

There are aspects of Playground Session that are geared around 10 fingers per person. But that said, there is nothing in the program that requires that you play a piece perfectly before advancing. It does reward high level performances more, but the key is to learn how to play music and what fingers are normally considered the most appropriate for the piece. If you don't have the finger "suggested" you are supposed to substitute one of your own choosing. People get fixated on the finger numbers and forget they are suggestions. Also, it is still real music even when you leave out some notes, just be sure, when you really play to play the important notes. Rookie music is great sounding because it is played with an accompaniment. You are supposed to get to the point in advanced that you sound great without the accompaniment, but that doesn't mean you have to play without it!

Play what you can, enjoy it all as you go. If you need to adapt (or some might say compromise) do it.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --