Hello All! A Little Setup Help?

Introduce yourself to the Playground Community.
Porkchop

Hello All! A Little Setup Help?

Post by Porkchop » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:46 am

Good Day Everyone,
Just purchased the PGS "Lifetime Subscription" so I'm in this for the long haul. Absolute beginner in my early 50's. Retired with plenty of time on my hands.
Anyway, my setup is a Yamaha EZ 200 midi capable, and Lenovo Ideapad 330s running Windows 10. I chose the laptop over my iPad due to comments about better performance. So without hooking my system up yet, my laptop has HDMI, USB and headphone jack. I'm guessing there is a MIDI to USB or HDMI connector available? Also a stand. Anyone using a laptop stand or riser so as to have screen in front and on top of piano instead of off to the side?
Thanks all.

sw1tch73ch

Re: Hello All! A Little Setup Help?

Post by sw1tch73ch » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:09 am

There are MIDI to USB (HDMI wouldn't work for Playground Sessions). I use the Roland UM-ONE mk2. it works pretty well. It might be more expensive than others, but since I don't have the others I can't say which of the less expensive ones are good. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -interface
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

Porkchop

Post by Porkchop » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:09 am

Thanks so much. All set. Here we go!!

GordWebster

Post by GordWebster » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:59 pm

The Roland that sw1tch73ch refers to would be used if your keyboard has the two round MIDI DIN ports.
In looking at a few web pages for the EZ 200, it looks like there is a (mostly) square USB port on the keyboard, so all you need is a USB A cable. This is the same cable you would use for a printer. The square end plugs in to the keyboard and the other will plug in directly to your laptop.
I can't speak on a stand as I use my iPad, which sits nicely on my piano stand. (I'm OK with using the iPad as it fits my current needs).