Guitarist flirts with 88 string...

Introduce yourself to the Playground Community.
CaptainMac

Guitarist flirts with 88 string...

Post by CaptainMac » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:00 pm

Hi from Berkshire (UK)

I came back to music late (my late 40s) having spent a bit of time on the cello as a kid. For the last 3 years or so I've been pretty focussed on electric guitar, and recently got my grade 8 (3 years @ about 20 hrs/week! effort).

Whilst guitar will continue to be my main focus (and I'd like to get to a professional standard), my teacher has suggested to me that a second instrument will help in my development, so the 'ol 88 string it is.

First impressions?
- Music theory laid out in a neat row, cool!
- Two hand co-ordination is WAY different than on the guitar (where the principal challenge is proper sync)
- I think this will be fun!

-Iain

SJunior22

Re: Guitarist flirts with 88 string...

Post by SJunior22 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:01 am

Welcome CaptainMac!

I'd like to welcome you to the Playground Sessions Family and pass along some encouragement and well-wishes from a fellow 88-stringer/Drummer/Bassist! (from the US) :D

Please take a look around the forums for various content, ranging from practice tips to "help!" and anything in between. If you get stuck or whatever the case, please dont hesistate to reach out in the forums. We all support each other in this journey to becoming the pianist we dream of.

Good luck and I wish you all the best on your journey!

CaptainMac

Re: Guitarist flirts with 88 string...

Post by CaptainMac » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:50 am

Thanks!

So having scorched through the first 10 hours or so of the rookie boot camp, I've finally hit a wall when it comes to two handed playing. Time for lots of slow repetitions I think...