Beta Now Available

General user help and bug reports for Playground Sessions for Android tablets
PSZA333

Re: Beta Now Available

Postby PSZA333 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:42 pm

Lenovo Yoga Tablet (YT3-850M) Android ver. 5.1.1

Unfortunately the app doesn't start on this device.

Installed with unknown source enabled went OK, but when I start the application, it shows the playground logo/start screen for a few seconds, than quits.Any idea?

-Thanks, Andre

seant23
Site Admin

Postby seant23 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:54 pm

Hi Guys,

We just updated the downloads for the Android builds, same link as before, new build number is 73

To download the early access version of Playground for Android, you can download the app here:

Click here on your Android Tablet to Download the Latest Stable Release

Change Log

On Screen Keyboard
  • Now can play more than one note at a time.
  • Now can use in lesson player, for when you don't have a keyboard with you.

Lesson Player
  • Video player with notation-sync
  • Minor performance improvements for sheet music
  • Accompaniment start times are more precise

Lesson Library
  • Removed checksum checking (lessons download much quicker now)

Login Prompt
  • Moved input prompts up to allow more space for onscreen keyboard (soft keyboard)

Settings -> Piano
  • 85 key option replaced with 88 key option.
  • 73 key option replaced with 76 key option.
  • Custom keyboard option added to set the on screen keyboard to match your actual keyboard.
Misc
  • We've added in a new update check system that will notify users of updates, similar to how the desktop version of Playground does today.
  • New crash reporting system to catch more fatal crashes, so we can continue to make Playground more stable

zack322

Postby zack322 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:08 pm

PSZA333 wrote:Lenovo Yoga Tablet (YT3-850M) Android ver. 5.1.1

Unfortunately the app doesn't start on this device.

Installed with unknown source enabled went OK, but when I start the application, it shows the playground logo/start screen for a few seconds, than quits.Any idea?

-Thanks, Andre

Hi Andre!

Yes, unfortunately the current version only works for Android 6+. This is due to the midi manager that is used. It is only supported by Marshmellow+. However, we are working on backwards compatibility and soon we should have a version that supports older Android versions.

sw1tch73ch

Postby sw1tch73ch » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:01 pm

Great news! The Beta likes my tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (Android 6.0.1) ... at least what I've done so far. I need to dredge out my 61 key instrument with "Class Compliant" MIDI so I can test the playing of the sheet music part (worked before, just a regression test to make sure it still does.

Your "Changes" in the note says "73 key option replaced with 89 key option.". Wouldn't that have been 73 to 76? Not many keyboards have more than 88 keys - there are some custom keyboards that do, and perhaps a few acoustic pianos as well. The key counts I'm familiar with are mostly 25, 49, 61, 76 and 88. As I noted, there are custom keyboards the don't follow the usual configurations. I haven't tested that part yet, so just a heads up.

The Video lessons are working well. I suddenly realized how small an 8 inch display is, though ! :D

The video lessons I did play downloaded very quickly. Playback was smooth, too. So far, so good.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

seant23
Site Admin

Postby seant23 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:56 pm

sw1tch73ch wrote:Your "Changes" in the note says "73 key option replaced with 89 key option."

Yup, meant 76, fixed it, thanks!

sw1tch73ch

Postby sw1tch73ch » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:19 pm

Follow up thoughts on experience on Android...

As noted before, the video playback has been smooth and the download times reasonably short. The new encoding works.

I think my 61 Key keyboard may be sending soft notes. The piano part I'm playing is very quiet on the tablet. I compensated by turning up the keyboard volume. I will need to get a MIDI monitor and look at the playback "velocity" for the keyboard.

I found that lowering the latency setting for the app improved my "good" notes. I set it to 64-ish. I don't think I got the slider right on 64, but it's close. I have a fast tablet, though, so not everyone will be able to tweak the setting this low. I might also find that more complex streams of notes will fill the buffer and create problems, so this will be something I keep an eye on. The reason I did is the first played note always seemed to be late. I found if I "anticipated" the beat by playing early it would sometimes, but not always, acknowledge the note. With the latency buffer lower it seems to catch the first note more reliably.

My tablet is Android 6.0.1. I expect you'll want to do a OS version check to use the appropriate version of the MIDI driver. Also, if you find that the "legacy code" works with non-code compliant keyboards, you might also check if the up to date with the OS version can read the keyboard and swap over to the legacy if it can't and see if that will work.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

sw1tch73ch

Postby sw1tch73ch » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:39 pm

Oh, and one follow up to my follow up- I got a notice that an update was available, but clicking on it took me to the itunes store. I don't think they'll have the Android updates there. :D

-- jbs --

seant23
Site Admin

Postby seant23 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:16 pm

sw1tch73ch wrote:Oh, and one follow up to my follow up- I got a notice that an update was available, but clicking on it took me to the itunes store. I don't think they'll have the Android updates there. :D

:lol: This will be fixed in the next update

jimhar66

Postby jimhar66 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:35 pm

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (Android 6.0.1)
Casio Privia PX-850 (web site says it should be class compliant)

Cannot seem to get Playground Sessions to recognize Casio Privia PX-850 keyboard with Samsung tablet.
Playground Sessions recognizes keyboard using Windows 7 driver.
Below is driver information from Windows.

==================================================
Device Name : CASIO USB-MIDI
Description : USB Composite Device
Device Type : Unknown
Connected : Yes
Safe To Unplug : Yes
Disabled : No
USB Hub : No
Drive Letter :
Serial Number :
Created Date : 3/6/2017 10:31:39 PM
Last Plug/Unplug Date: 3/7/2017 5:03:27 PM
VendorID : 07cf
ProductID : 6803
Firmware Revision : 1.00
USB Class : 00
USB SubClass : 00
USB Protocol : 00
Hub / Port :
Computer Name :
Vendor Name :
Product Name :
ParentId Prefix : 6&1c6ea5d&0
Service Name : usbccgp
Service Description: Microsoft USB Generic Parent Driver
Driver Filename : usbccgp.sys
Device Class : USB
Device Mfg : (Standard USB Host Controller)
Power : 0 mA
USB Version : 2.00
Driver Description: USB Composite Device
Driver Version : 6.1.7601.23529
Driver InfSection : Composite.Dev
Driver InfPath : usb.inf
Instance ID : USB\VID_07CF&PID_6803\5&2288c648&0&1
Capabilities : Removable, SurpriseRemovalOK
==================================================

jimhar66

Postby jimhar66 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:35 pm

based on advice in other thread I obtained a USB OTG cable and everything works fine now with Casio Privia.

Return to “Android (Beta)”