Samsung Galaxy Tab A and Yamaha YPG-235 Keyboard

General user help and bug reports for Playground Sessions for Android tablets
GadgetGal

Samsung Galaxy Tab A and Yamaha YPG-235 Keyboard

Post by GadgetGal » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:24 pm

I cannot get my tablet to recognize my keyboard. I am using a Micro USB 2.0 OTG Cable to connect but tablet is still not seeing my keyboard. Any suggestions? Has anyone had luck with the Samsung Galaxy Tab A?

sw1tch73ch

Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab A and Yamaha YPG-235 Keyboard

Post by sw1tch73ch » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:34 pm

The YPG-235 is the same "generation" as my YPG-635. The USB-MIDI on these keyboards is not "Class Compliant" - a standard that emerged fairly recently (at least from Yamaha's viewpoint). A laptop will work because you can add the custom drivers the Yamaha needs. I believe the Android devices are waiting on a potential fix with "old" MIDI software that is not part of the Android SDK - which might take some time to accomplish. Hopefully one of the Developers can chip on on the progress there.

Even my relatively recent MX-49 is not USB-MIDI class compliant. Fortunately it includes traditional MIDI-IN and OUT ports and I can use my class compliant Roland UM-ONE adapter. That isn't an option on my YPG-635, so there I have a tiny computer running windows 7 running Playground Sessions so I can work with my weighted key digital piano.

I keep meaning to take my Android tablet to Sam Ash and check on the new DGX-660 to see if that USB-MIDI is class compliant or not.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

GadgetGal

Post by GadgetGal » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:57 pm

Thanks for the response. I hope they can come up with a fix soon. Too bad Yamaha does not meet the standard. I recently purchased the keyboard so it is new. It is very awkward to try to balance a laptop on the keyboard so it will work.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:01 pm

I know what you mean about trying to balance the laptop on the keyboard. I bought a "convertible" laptop that pretends it's a tablet (keys fold behind, and it has nice multi-finger touch screen) that I intended to use on my YPG. But I saw the cute little Intel NUC micro-PC that I attached to the cross bar of the furniture stand and hook that up to a monitor that is on a swing arm over the piano. Not the least expensive solution... I did all this BEFORE I found Playground Sessions trying to use software I have that doesn't run on Windows 8 or 10 and barely on Windows 7 using Windows XP emulation (and it barely worked on Windows XP - it was originally for Windows 98!).

There are thin USB based monitors, but I haven't tested how Playground Sessions would work on a USB monitor. You could set a laptop next to the piano and put the monitor on the sheet music stand. Oh, and I use a trackball mouse because a regular mouse is just about impossible to use on top of the keyboard, though if the laptop is in reach you could use the track-pad. Now we only need someone to test a USB Monitor first that already has a USB monitor to tell us if it works.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

smallwonder

Post by smallwonder » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:21 pm

I realize this is an older post but just in case others have a Galaxy Tab A and a Yamaha: I was able to get the Android beta app to recognize my YP-45B by using this cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00932N46S

But I too am looking for a larger monitor setup and will use switch's idead.

bajacondor

Post by bajacondor » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:34 am

Hi smallwonder,
What is the name of the Android beta app that you used?

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:12 pm

It was the Playground Sessions official Android Beta app. Unfortunately because Android OS doesn't have a real standard way of doing MIDI. It has standard guidance that isn't always possible given the hardware in use. They pulled the Beta in order to get back to redevelop it and hopefully release it again at a later date. We're in an Android Drought right now.

-- jbs --