Android beta don't work with Yamaha PSR-S77

General user help and bug reports for Playground Sessions for Android tablets
juan37

Android beta don't work with Yamaha PSR-S77

Post by juan37 » Sat May 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Hi!

I connected via midi-usb my tablet Samsung Galaxy S T700 to my Yamaha PSR-S770 via a OTG cable to USB to Host from the keyboard, but the midi link are not recongnized by the Playground software.

Someone has succesfully connected a Yamaha keyboard to a android tablet and recognized by the Playground software?

Thanks,
Juan

sw1tch73ch

Re: Android beta don't work with Yamaha PSR-S77

Post by sw1tch73ch » Tue May 30, 2017 12:11 pm

The challenge with Android is that the OS itself barely supports MIDI. It doesn't have a driver from every manufacturer to recognize the proprietary MIDI implementations over USB. I would expect the PSR-S770 to be one of systems that do work, but it's kind of a random luck thing I think. I have the little PSR-E353 which Android does work with. The E series PSRs are all about learning to play and so maybe Yamaha made sure to make them more compatible.

I have a sibling tablet, the Galaxy Tab S2 8 inch. I got an OTG cable and that works for my PSR-E353. It doesn't work for my YPG-635, however, or my MX-49. The YPG-635 absolutely must use the USB-to-HOST connection, and the Android tablet just won't see it.

If you can't get Android to recognize the PSR-S770 directly, you can use the standard MIDI ports on the back (the round 5 pin MIDI IN and OUT) of your keyboard. You'll need an Android compatible USB-to-MIDI cable adapter. I've found the Roland UM-ONE works well. I don't know if the Yamaha cable is Android compatible (the UX-16). I can use the UM-ONE to connect my Yamaha MX-49 to my tablet.

Good luck.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

DARINtcylj

Android beta dont work with Yamaha PSR S77

Post by DARINtcylj » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:00 pm

Good Morning Chris,
Could you tell me how I might be able to get a beta copy of the android app?
Ty
I was advised robot trading forex for reliable investments

thomas1018
Site Admin

Re: Android beta don't work with Yamaha PSR-S77

Post by thomas1018 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:36 pm