Bootcamp and Courses

Discussion about Playground's supplemental courses.
shyamsspatel652

Bootcamp and Courses

Post by shyamsspatel652 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:11 am

I am currently in a middle of a rookie tour and I have unlocked 4 courses in total. I am confused about how and more specifically when you go through each of these courses? I saw scales course have unlocked but isn't it in hurry if i go through all the scales right now? Similarly in reading course, its too much to handle if i go through all the content of the course including accidentals and everything. Courses are fantastic, no doubt about that but please upload the guidelines about how and when we should go through each of the courses.

Thank you

EFlatMajor

Re: Bootcamp and Courses

Post by EFlatMajor » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:46 am

Hello shyamsspatel652, welcome to the club.

Giving you a formal path from beginning to end is not something built into the application yet. I think the intent of the developers though was to have users start learning the courses as soon as they unlock, along with doing the bootcamp lessons. The courses only appear after you have reached a certain point in the bootcamp, so they feel you are ready for each of them.

I am past all that so I can give you some recommendations. The first course you should do, and start today is the "Reading Music - Staff Notation (Rookie)" course. This course teaches you all the music theory you will need to complete the rookie bootcamp. If you decide to do only one course, make it this one.

Among the other courses that should already be open: "Both Hands Practice: Rookie" and "50 Famous Melodies" - These are simply more practice for things you have already learned in the bootcamp. You should do these as well, although not critical. Doing them though will strengthen the skills you already learned in the boot camp.

The "Hanon 1-20" course is like a bodybuilding course for your fingers. The sheet music looks terrifying at first, but it is basically just doing a single pattern over and over as you march up and down the keyboard. Each "pattern" has a purpose - like stretching the thumb to a note further away - you will see these patterns in the music that you play, and you will already know them and not have to play "finger twister" when you first see them in sheet music.

The "1 Octave Scales" course you should do as well, and complete it 100% before you move to the Intermediate Bootcamp. Doing this course teaches you the major and minor scales and will help you greatly in preparing you for playing chords and in keys other than C Major. I believe there is a "2 Octave Scales" course on the way, so completing this one can only help you with that.

Summary (and this is only my personal opinion)
1 - Get the "Reading Music - Staff Notation (Rookie)" course done first
2 - Add "Both Hands Practice: Rookie" and "50 Famous Melodies" lessons into your daily practice routine
3 - Do the "Hanon 1-20" course - try to master one new exercise every 1 or 2 weeks.
4 - Do the "1 Octave Scales" course - try to master one new exercise every 1 or 2 weeks.

Doing one or two of the scales or Hanon lessons when first sitting down make for a great warmup for your hands.

Lastly, so many of the questions being asked already have answers is these forums. Just use the Search function at the top of the page. Also, PGS has a great youtube channel, tons of How To videos as well as theory lessons and live performances.

Good luck

b_in_vt

Post by b_in_vt » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:46 pm

Thank you EFlatMajor for such a helpful post. I am brand new and was wondering the best way to proceed.
What you suggested makes a lot of sense

PeterSchut

Post by PeterSchut » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:10 am

Hi EFlatMajor,
I got at this tread via another one.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=23379

Thanks for your guid, it indeed make sense.
How much time did you spend over how many months to finish your proposal?
I would like to see a reference in spend time.
Cheers,
Peter

EFlatMajor

Post by EFlatMajor » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:33 pm

Hi Peter, thanks for the kind words.

I wish I had an answer for you, but I am constantly changing up my practice routine.

I am in the intermediate bootcamp now, but backfilling the rookie things I skipped like the Final Review. I still work on the hanons, and increased the metronome up past 70 BPM.

I still do the scales, but outside the app. I do each of them 10x every time I practice, as it is just too much point/clicking in the app.

So, I guess to answer your question I will never be done.

Don't forget you can use the Search function at the top of the page with the word "practice" to get a lot of hints of how others are getting through the program.

There are a number of people very generous with their time to answer questions as well.

Good luck.

PeterSchut

Post by PeterSchut » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:57 am

Thanks
Peter