Prelude in C - no practice points

Discussion about Playground's supplemental courses.
eichenberg

Prelude in C - no practice points

Post by eichenberg » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:36 am

Just curious why there are no practice points for the prelude in C course. I completed all until now and did never get some practice points. I actually do not care much because I don't do it for the points but I'm curious why it is like this. All other things which I do in playground session are giving practice points...

FlatPanda

Re: Prelude in C - no practice points

Post by FlatPanda » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:40 pm

I noticed the same, you get time points but no practice points. I guess it's just the way the course/challenge is set up (otherwise you would get overwhelmingly many points with just this course, I guess, and who knows, maybe they have some plans with the point system in the new version of the software, so they don't want to skew it too much?)

eichenberg

Post by eichenberg » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:19 am

Might be. But without points the whole system does not make sence. I had a very steep curve before now since practicing prelude in c its pretty flat even. I hope the optimized app will get released soon and that it will be an improvement!

EFlatMajor

Post by EFlatMajor » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:58 am

The practice points and levels are a throwback to the early days of PGS, where students competed against each other on how they progressed through the program. There was even a leaderboard.

The leaderboard disappeared 5 years ago, and since then the practice points and level numbers don't hold much meaning. And yes, it is very easy to 'game the system' and artificially raise your level very quickly. I like the idea of competition in driving us to practice more. I hope they are re-engineering that part of the app in this new version.