Has anyone found the Fur Elise course really difficult?

Discussion about Playground's supplemental courses.
glenmccarty

Has anyone found the Fur Elise course really difficult?

Post by glenmccarty » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:16 am

I've found this one really hard to master - the intermediate course doesn't really help to understand how to quickly move the left hand into different positions, leaving me flailing all over the keyboard.

SJunior22

Re: Has anyone found the Fur Elise course really difficult?

Post by SJunior22 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:57 am

Hi glenmccarty!

I'm working on the "Advanced-Hard" version of "Fur Elise" (bought in the Song Store). A few things I know when trying to play something that's a bit out of reach from your current level is, your foundations are going to be tested.

If your "muscle memory", abilities to anticipate what's coming up next, sight reading, etc are not up to the task, you are going to be "flailing all over the keyboard". I've had to constantly take a measure-by measure approach throughout the song just to get the "tough" parts memorized.

Just thought I'd share my trials and tribulations with this song and to let you know you're not alone! I wish you all the best!

Loujul

Post by Loujul » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:48 am

I've completed the intermediate course, but will never be able to play it at the normal speed. I'm content to play at the slow speed and this way I won't get frustrated that my reaction time is just not what it used to be. :)

SJunior22

Post by SJunior22 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:13 am

Hi Loujul!

I would offer some advice if you have any desire to play the song at normal speed.

First, listen to the song from your favorite source (CD, Youtube, Spotify, Etc). Listen to it over and over.

Second, keep playing/practicing the song and at ever so often (weekly, monthly), play a phrase (just a few measures) from the song at normal speed. Continue to add more normal speed phrases over time.

The more you practice a song (at normal speed), the slower the tempo appears. The song may seem fast now, but effective practicing for however long it takes, will grant you the ability to play the song at normal speed as intended.

Hope this helps a bit and I wish you all the best!

Oleg Vostyakov

Post by Oleg Vostyakov » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:19 am

glenmccarty wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:16 am
I've found this one really hard to master - the intermediate course doesn't really help to understand how to quickly move the left hand into different positions, leaving me flailing all over the keyboard.
Agree! It's not that easy, but more practice gives more skills!!!! I use this score for practice- https://musescore.com/official_scores/scores/6960508
I'm a member of https://musescore.com/our-products family
The program of training me as a musician: https://musescore.com/courses/music-software