Both Hands Coordination

Share your ideas with fellow Playground users!
jjmurph01

Both Hands Coordination

Post by jjmurph01 » Sun May 30, 2021 12:42 pm

I've been enjoying Playground Sessions up to now, even though some of the lessons have been hard. I try for 100% on the lessons before moving on, though I know I could move forward at a lesser percentage. Just a perfectionist, I guess.

Currently, however, I'm on the verge of taking a long vacation. On Lesson 87 - Prelude to E Minor -- I am at 3 lessons out of 4 and finish the 4th. I can do either hand ok (though the right hand runs into a bit of an issue on timing and moving to the black keys toware the end), but no way can I get the hands to work together through the entire session. I have tried very slow pace, fast pace, everything I can think of, including walking away and taking breaks or going at it repeatedly for a long time.

What happens if I just skip this lesson? Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

SJunior22

Re: Both Hands Coordination

Post by SJunior22 » Mon May 31, 2021 10:20 am

Hi jjmurph01!

Since you are still in the "Rookie" side of the bootcamps, this would be a great time to lock in some sort of method on how you are going do deal with this scenario (this isnt going to be the first nor the last time you are likely to encounter this very-common issue in the future). Here are some of my ways I attack this problem before it attacks my will to even want to learn/play the piano anymore.

First, I listen to the song over and over again (both away and when I'm at my piano). I drown my memory on how it's supposed to sound at any given section.

Second, when my hands can play their individual parts with 90-99% accurately from memory, and I'm still not able to make them play together, I play the sheet music by 2-3 measures only (on repeat - no stopping) and add a measure or two when I become proficient with the first set of measures.

Third, when I'm just encountering the full song (both hands), I set my expectations for the day to a minimum. Meaning, I wont expect to get through the entire sheet music that day. Depending on normal factors (mood, energy, concentration, length of song), I may only aim to get half or less the song down that day (or even week). When I come back to practice the following day or so, I review/replay the previous day's section and then add on from there.

I've long-passed the "Advanced" bootcamp section and now on to playing full-length songs and I encounter the same issue each and every time I begin a new song. There is always something my left or right hand will do (or not do) that just makes me have to pull-back and adopt these tips explained above that gets me through the struggle. I hope some advice I've given is of some use to you and keep on practicing. I wish you all the best!

Oleg Vostyakov

Re: Both Hands Coordination

Post by Oleg Vostyakov » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:35 am

:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: thanks!
I'm a member of https://musescore.com/our-products family
The program of training me as a musician: https://musescore.com/courses/music-software