How I improved my coordination...

Share your ideas with fellow Playground users!
SJunior22

How I improved my coordination...

Post by SJunior22 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:00 pm

Hello Fellow Players!

Just thought I'd share a practice-technique I used when I was going through the "rookie bootcamp" modules along with the 1-octave scale courses;

I found I had trouble with my left and right hand were not doing what my brain was telling them. Sometimes they'd play at the same time when they weren't supposed to and all other sorts of bad behavior.

I quickly figured out a way to develop the communication line from my brain to my hands. One caveat: I always practice all of the 1-octave scales before I begin a bootcamp lesson. It was during my 1-octave scales practice that I started to play the scales in opposite directions (I played 2 octaves apart so my hands wouldnt crash into each other). Meaning, when my right hand would go up in the scale, I made my left hand go down in the scale and vice versa. Until I could get up enough speed to make it all sound flowing, I would play one finger at a time-alternating from hand to hand never playing the same note at the same time (RH = start with pinky, then the LH-pinky would play, etc etc.). Essentially, I was playing every scale at least 4 times (twice as demonstrated by PS and then my technique).

Once I got comfortable (without looking at my hands as I did this technique), I kept my eyes glued to the sheet music and listened to the notes. Granted, you're hearing different octaves of the same note at the same time (when both hands are playing in the same direction) but they should sound similar if played correctly. When played in opposite directions, opposite notes are played (another bonus to training your ear for specific notes in the each scale).This practice technique will help not only with coordination, it will help train your ear and help memorize each 1-octave scale.

I hope this tip might help someone out there that wants to get their coordination down (along with a few other bonuses) before they begin the Intermediate courses and so on. Cheers and Good Luck to All!

andrewwegierski

Re: How I improved my coordination...

Post by andrewwegierski » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:12 am

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

SJunior22

Post by SJunior22 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:17 am

Thanks Andrew for the kind reply. :D

MusicMike

Post by MusicMike » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:40 pm

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I have been so frustrated with my lack of hand coordination. Concentrating and disecting the treble clef music while also doing the same for the bass is like some sort of superhuman ability that's going to really hard for me to acquire. I play other instruments like the guitar and violin, but this is new territory. I don't have a natural musical inclination, so everything I learn takes about 10 times as long as a 10 year old ... lol.

Thanks again,
Mike

SJunior22

Post by SJunior22 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:34 am

You're welcome Mike! I hope the tip helps!

I know what you mean, taking the techniques and skills from other instruments and trying to translate them to the piano, doesn't seem to simplify the learning curve of the piano (least from my perspective - I play bass guitar and drums). Some of my drumming skills (like reading sheet music - multiple bars at a time) did pay off a bit for learning piano since drum sheet music makes you read 4 things at once instead of just 2 for piano. But coordination from limbs to fingers was a change too. Playing Bass Guitar with fingers for years (as I'm sure you're aware with Lead/Rhythm Guitar) didnt quite provide a coordination-advantage for learning all the piano chords/inversions, scales, etc.

All my life I was mentally and physically intimidated by the piano so, to take one off the bucket list, I'm venturing on with learning the piano so I have the entire rhythm section down with no fear.

Good luck Mike on your mutually-shared journey into conquering the piano! :D