Trouble with keeping time? Here's an idea...or a few.

Share your ideas with fellow Playground users!
SJunior22

Trouble with keeping time? Here's an idea...or a few.

Post by SJunior22 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:16 am

Hello Fellow Players!

Here's a tip to help improve your sense of time/rhythm: KEEP COUNTING OUT LOUD! Do it because you're teaching your subconscious to do it for you. However, your subconscious is a very slow learner so keep counting out loud. Eventually, you will (after many hours of counting out loud) start to hear your own voice counting (dont worry, its just your subconscious mocking you). Also, dont just wait til piano practice to count - listen to your favorite music and try to find the rhythm and count along - this will make your subconscious work overtime.

Bonus tip: For those who suffer from critically-challenged sense of time/rhythm - go to bed with a metronome or even your loudest clock ticking away. A basic clock will teach your subconscious 60 beats-per-minute (bpm). Count along with the seconds (1, 2, 3, 4) then repeat. Eventually move to half notes in between the seconds (1 and, 2 and , 3 and , 4 and) then quarter, eighth, and sixteen notes. Soon you'll get so bored, you'll fall asleep, but your subconscious wont - it will hear it continually as you sleep.

You keep counting and soon you will discover one day that you are counting without realizing it (and thats the final level, congrats!)

Again, I hope these tips will find a home with someone who can benefit and become the time/rhythm master they always wanted.

Cheers and keep on counting!

Disclosure: The piano is my 3rd instrument - I began playing Drums at age 5, Bass Guitar at 37, and now Piano in my 40s.

andrewwegierski

Re: Trouble with keeping time? Here's an idea...or a few.

Post by andrewwegierski » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:56 am

Thanks for the post!
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

zoey

Post by zoey » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:20 am

I had a friend who did this while he was learning the piano.

pavel

Post by pavel » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:04 am

SJunior22 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:16 am
go to bed with a metronome or even your loudest clock ticking away..... you'll fall asleep
:) no, I cannot sleep in such a environment, I have to have dead silence. Anyhow, thanks for the tip.

SJunior22

Post by SJunior22 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:09 am

Hello Pavel!

I used to be the kind to need complete silence as well. As I got older, I had too much "static" running through my mind as I tried to goto sleep. I soon became one of those types that now needs some sort of noise to fall asleep.

However, if you need a better tip to suit your sleep-style, how about you tap your fingers along with your heartbeat. Chances are, its going to be 60 bpm or less. Do that until you fall asleep - the point is to get your subconscious to work all night on fixing your timing issues. Hope this helps you or someone else out there that has a similar way of going to sleep.