Find your path.....(for absolute beginners)

Share your ideas with fellow Playground users!
MiddleC

Re: Find your path.....(for absolute beginners)

Post by MiddleC » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:44 pm

@SJunior 22, your thread is appreciated.

I consider myself an absolute beginner (certainly for a keyboard that's the case). Fifty-five years ago, I took accordion lessons, but as teenagers often do, I abandoned it when I hit 16, after 3 years of lessons. For all intents and purposes I don't remember much from it.

I received my Yamaha this past week, and have gotten started in the lessons. I just started the first Intermediate boot camp lesson, chords.

I spent a long time on the last beginning boot camp lesson. My method has been to play it slower ,until 100% achieved, then medium, then at default tempo. I experienced something I did not expect: When working with default tempo, they play an accompaniment. That threw off my timing. In that exercise, it sounded like the timing they played the accompaniment to was off. I let it play and just listened, and that was not the case.

In the early part of it I consistently got thrown off by a half beat. Last half, I could play it spot on. If I dropped the tempo by 1 beat, and then no accompaniment, I could with some regularity, hit 100%.

I only bring all this up... as it is interesting what different people find challenging.

Your post gives me permission to explore w/o necessarily following everything 1 - 10.

I think I am not authorized for scales. I may try to check that out.

SJunior22

Post by SJunior22 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:07 am

Hello again MiddleC!

Thank you for the kind feedback!

If I understood you correctly, you started at the Intermediate bootcamp? Did you complete the Rookie bootcamp beforehand? I think that maybe you didnt considering you said at the bottom of your post, "I think I am not authorized for scales". Meaning you might not have it "unlocked" under "Courses".

I think in the rookie bootcamp - lesson 74, you begin to learn scales and this is where the supplemental course "unlocks". I highly reccommend you refresh yourself with all of the scales as to help you become more confident playing chords (in rhythm, when playing along with the accompanyment). In fact, if you haven't done so, complete the entire rookie bootcamp just to solidify your competency and even evoke some "muscle memory" techniques learned on the accordion from years past.

Being able to play in rhytmn and full speed (in my opinion) along with any backing instrument tracks all comes down to your confidence and competence of your instrument and knowledge of the relevant piece of music. If the accompanyments seem to still throw you off, at the top of the screen, goto "Edit" then "User settings" then "Volume" and adjust the volume of the "Accompanyment" lower to just where you barely hear it enough to sense the rhythm. Then as you progress, increase the volume.

Again, thank you for the kind feedback about my threads and I hope this post helps as well. Either way, I wish you all the best!

MiddleC

Post by MiddleC » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:52 pm

Hello SJunior22...

Thanks so much for the guidance.

Well, I had been confused. I thought the 'finish' of the Rookie Bootcamp was quick. After seeing some other posts that referenced exercises I knew I hadn't, I took a look, and find I have a bunch of the Rookie Bootcamp to complete. So, I have stopped on Int, and have gone back to the Rookie.

Regarding the timing problem I have with accompaniment, it is with a specific one. I had some different ones while working on the exercise list #4 in the Rookie Tour that did not cause me a problem. The very last one, #7 in that group, played that accompaniment again that screws me up on timing.

I read something, I think one of your posts, but maybe not...It gave me the impression that the beat in some accompaniment in bands may be different for some instruments. I may try to find that post again.

The other thing that confuses me is that the intro countdown will go 1,2,3,4, but then the count for the measure is 2 beats.

At any rate, I'm back on the right track for the lessons. I suspect some of my wonderings will receive answers as I continue through the courses.

Appreciate all of you helpful posts.