Before You Even Start....

Share your ideas with fellow Playground users!
SJunior22

Before You Even Start....

Post by SJunior22 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:29 am

Hello Fellow Pianists!

I've come back to post yet another "tool" I use when I learn/play instruments. This "tool" is universal and should be used always when you practice. What am I talking about? Well, its RITUAL - or a process that you undergo when you are about to perform a task (specifically here - practice/play piano).

Rituals are a great way to tell your brain, "Alright, this is what we're going to do so, get ready!" As you perform your ritual, you're giving your brain time to prepare and focus for the main task ahead. Let's face it, we all go thru countless "rituals" in our daily lives over and over. These rituals start right as we wake up in the morning. The first one is "breakfast". We all start by getting out of bed, make a dash to the restroom, put on clothes, goto the kitchen, prepare breakfast (not exactly everyone's process or ritual - but this is just mentioning the generalities). We even got a ritual for going outside: look out the window/check the weather report, wear appropriate clothing, put on shoes, grab a coat or jacket (if needed), open door, close door, walk outside. So with these few mundane tasks we do everyday having rituals (or processes), why not have one for your Piano practicing time?

What I do everytime I practice or play any of my instruments is simple; It all starts with getting the instrument and setting it up. I have my Piano stowed away from my computer when I'm not playing/practicing. So I begin my ritual by carrying the digital piano(I play on a Yamaha P-115 with weighted keys) over and the stand to the computer. Plug in the wires, and boot up Playground Sessions. Meanwhile, I goto my closet and put on some sort of music related shirt/outfit. I know, its corny, but my argument would be - if you put on a specific outfit for work, how is my shirt/outfit for piano any different? This whole process takes about 5 mins or so. Thats usually enough time for my mind to get ready to think about playing/learning piano.I end my ritual with a run through 1-octave scales and a few song excerpts that I like as I've learned along the way in the PS bootcamp catalog. Ritual is complete and I'm now in "Piano" mode.

If you dont have a ritual or process that you perform before you login to Playground Sessions, I HIGHLY reccommend you develop one. This wont only get you ready to learn/play, it can improve your play/practice. I hope this tip helps someone out there that might be struggling a bit and needs an idea. Good Luck to All and enjoy your journey! :D