A Tool To Test Your Skill....(Rookie to Advanced)

Share your ideas with fellow Playground users!
SJunior22

A Tool To Test Your Skill....(Rookie to Advanced)

Post by SJunior22 » Fri May 29, 2020 10:20 am

Hello Fellow Pianists!

I've been meaning to share another tool that I've used along the way as something to supplement those scores you get from PGS on any of the modules within the bootcamps or courses. I've used this all the way from rookie to where I'm at now (advanced bootcamp). This tool helps tell you how effective your practicing truly is. What am I talking about? Its called "Sight Reading".

Sight Reading is something all performance musicians encounter (and you probably have already - but didnt know it). Its basically taking a piece of music then play the entire thing without practicing it first - You just look at the sheet and play as best as you can (with the correct tempo and rhythm). How does this help me to learn?

Its more of a tool to tell how much you've learned / practiced the fundamentals up until that point of trying to Sight Read. Theres an assortment of information you can gain by using this tool. For instance, this can tell how familiar with the keys you are (without looking at them). It can also tell how good are you at interpreting and translating the notes from the sheet music to your fingers (even if you have the "show notes" icon active, you still have to translate that to your fingers and play them). It can help test you on the intangibles - for example, how good is your sense of rhythm.

This tool will help identify what you are strong and weak at. Consider using this info to help formulate a more "Effective Practice" session(s). How do I incorporate this into my practice time?

I would start immediately by choosing a module (any from where you are at in the bootcamps; rookie to advance level) that you haven't seen nor practiced. This also could be just for your right or left hand or for both hands. Personally, I've picked random "final" or the very last modules for all handed-types. You don't necessarily have to play the entire piece, you can take just a few measures from the top or where ever and just Sight Read and play those as best as you can.

I hope this tool will find itself to be an invaluable part of your learning/practicing toolkit. I wish you all the best and enjoy your journey. :D