Disability

Share your ideas with fellow Playground users!
emaze

Disability

Post by emaze » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:38 am

Hi

Due to brain surgery, I have limited feeling in my left hand, meaning that it difficult for me to feel which h fingers on which keys without looking at them.

Does anybody know any useful techniques to overcome this handicap?

Cheers, Jay

SJunior22

Re: Disability

Post by SJunior22 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:52 am

Hi Jay!

I would advise to just keep looking at the keys, then slowly begin to stop looking. Look at the position your left hand has to be in, then where it needs to get to. Once your hand has made it to where it needs to be, immediately look away. Then try to repeat that pattern without looking. The idea I'm trying to convey is to memorize the distance your hand has to move in any given pattern without visual or touch feedback.

Another idea I would suggest would be to setup objects on your piano in certain areas that you can feel to give you some orientation of where your left hand is at without having to look. I did this by placing pencils, pens, erasers etc in places all around my piano keys to help me stop looking at the piano itself and know where my hands are at.

I hope these few ideas may be of some service to you. I wish you all the best on your journey!