Can I restart a lesson before it ends?

Share your ideas with fellow Playground users!
JayPike

Can I restart a lesson before it ends?

Post by JayPike » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:24 pm

First I apologise if my terminology is incorrect. I am wondering if there is a way to restart a session if I make a mistake in the middle. I have encountered times where I make a mistake and know how to correct it. But I have to wait for the entire session or entire section to play through before I can try it again. I would like to be able to end it right then and then restart it. Is this possible?

pavel

Re: Can I restart a lesson before it ends?

Post by pavel » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:49 am

easy answer, hit space = pause, hit space again = start from the beginning

FlatPanda

Post by FlatPanda » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:58 am

Or if you don't want to hit the keyboard but stay on the piano: hit the lowest and highest key simultaneously for stop/start.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:27 am

Two thougths, Pavel and FlatPanda both gave excellent answers, but... (lol, there always is a but somewhere)

1) You do want to get used to playing through errors.
2) When you do want to stop and start over, take a moment to "regroup" - take a deep breath and calm or relax yourself. Get over the error, we all make them, you are doing learning correctly if you make errors. Just learn to let go of them and practice, at a slow tempo if you need to, playing the notes correctly.

Remember to have fun and to learn from errors, now dwell on them. Learn to let them go once you've learned what they offer.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

FlatPanda

Post by FlatPanda » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:55 am

Doubling on what sw1tch73ch said: I've once read somewhere, that there is a big difference in practicing a piece and practicing playing (actually the text was about sight reading, when you don't pre-analyse and pre-learn the music but play it the first time you see it).

The difference being: when you are performing a piece (let's say solo concert pianist), you must hit every note correctly, and if you are slightly off on the rhythm that's no biggie. But, when you are performing as part of a band, it is more important to be on time than hitting every note.

If you are playing a 3-5 minute piece and some notes are off, but still in key, probably nobody will notice, whether you are playing solo or in a band.