When to turn off finger numbering?

Have a question? Look no further!
dez

When to turn off finger numbering?

Post by dez » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:51 am

Hi,
I am at exercise 38 of the rookie bootcamp so far and it isn't clear to me if I should start learning the Grand Staff line notations(E-G-B-D-F and F-A-C-E) by myself and turn off the finger numberings or if it will be looked into at later exercises.

Kind Regards

FlatPanda

Re: When to turn off finger numbering?

Post by FlatPanda » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:05 am

The numbering won't be turned off automatically, you have to turn it off manually.

General consensus seems to be: turn it off as soon as you are comfortable with it. Afterwards try to analyse the sheet music before playing, and turn on the fingering to quickly check, whether yours is way off, then turn it off again and play the music.

HTH.

dez

Post by dez » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:07 pm

Well, I know that I can turn it off. Since by playing only by finger numbering, I can play easily but I don't learn the notes.

Should I start actively to learn them by myself and turn the numbering off or will it be topic of later exercises?

FlatPanda

Post by FlatPanda » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:34 am

My 2¢: There is a course about reading staff notation, I suggest you do that as soon as you can, and afterwards keep the fingering numbers turned off; only turning it back on to check whether your assumptions are correct.

dez

Post by dez » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:32 am

Wow how could I miss that course, thanks :o

Now I have another question regarding learning the notes with that course: I have applied stickers to my keyboard with each note and staff position to the corresponding key. While looking through the course, I felt like the stickers are contra-intuitive to learning the notes. Any thoughts on this one?

FlatPanda

Post by FlatPanda » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:09 pm

I'm the wrong person to ask there, I've never used sticky notes, marks, or anything similar, for me the keyboard came semi-intiutively, after I learned the basic layout.

Mapping letters to the music sheet notation, that's something I struggle with, but slowly it comes. Maybe somebody else will jump into the topic and can answer your question.

EFlatMajor

Post by EFlatMajor » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:41 pm

Hello Dez - @FlatPanda is correct on all counts.

In terms of the stickers, I don't see why you can't leave them there, at least for now. Further on in the bootcamp and also in the "Prelude in C Challenge", you'll need to move your entire hand while in the middle of playing. That is normally where I mess up. Having those stickers there might give you the extra milliseconds you need to move your hand to the proper position in time to hit the next notes.

Be sure to get the "Reading Music" course done ASAP.

All in all, these tools are all crutches, use them while you need them, but start to wean yourself off of them when you feel ready.

dez

Post by dez » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:15 am

Great advice from you folks, thanks :)