Roland Go Keys & iPad via Bluetooth

Have a question? Look no further!
matthewdavidbutcher

Roland Go Keys & iPad via Bluetooth

Post by matthewdavidbutcher » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:12 pm

Hi,

I have a Roland Go Keys keyboard on the way and have signed up to Playground Sessions. As the keyboard has built in Bluetooth functionality, can I just pair this with my iPad and then use the midi functionality over this connection with the Playground app, or do I need to use a wired connection?

Thanks

GordWebster

Re: Roland Go Keys & iPad via Bluetooth

Post by GordWebster » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:51 am

Yes, you should be able to use Bluetooth to connect to your iPad to run PGS. You will likely need to download and install Roland Piano Partner 2 onto your iPad first.

But, if it is anything like my FP-30, I find it much easier to run with the cable instead.

To use Bluetooth to connect, these are the steps I need to take each time:
On the iPad Bluetooth settings, press the little "i" by the keyboard then "Forget this device".
Start Roland Piano Partner 2, and "pair" the piano using the Roland app (NOT the iPad's Bluetooth settings!).
Then start Playground Sessions. Go to "Settings" and then "Piano" and change the piano to the Bluetooth keyboard.

If I connect via cable, all I need to do is: connect the iPad using a USB cable, with a Lightning (older iPad) to USB Camera adapter, and start Playground Sessions. It automatically detects the piano. Much simpler. And, being wired, there is no Bluetooth latency that can affect how accurate PGS is in determining the timing of my playing.

Just my experience in the three months I've had my Roland. Others may have had better/easier experience.

Gord

EFlatMajor

Re: Roland Go Keys & iPad via Bluetooth

Post by EFlatMajor » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:54 am

Try sending customer support an email:

support@playgroundsessions.com

If you have not already figured it out, they will be able to help you.