stuck with Windows Audio (Exclusive Mode) on Windows 10

General user help and bug reports for Playground Sessions for Windows
tjmckiernan

stuck with Windows Audio (Exclusive Mode) on Windows 10

Post by tjmckiernan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:28 pm

I'm using Playground Sessions 2.4.314 on Windows 10 64-bit, with all the latest Windows patches installed. My PC's audio is built into the motherboard, using a Realtek chipset. I am using the analog output to a regular pair of computer speakers; I also have digital (optical) audio and HDMI audio support but nothing plugged into those ports. So, my only audio is plain ol' analog computer speakers.

When I use Playground Sessions, the audio only works properly if I choose "Windows Audio (Exclusive Mode)" in the user settings. The only other setting that works somewhat is the default "Windows Audio" option (i.e. not Exclusive Mode). In that mode, the audio is flaky. Also, even if I hear the notes for each music lesson, I don't hear the lead-in or accompaniment. The only way I can hear all of those is in Exclusive Mode.

So, Exclusive Mode mostly works but it comes at a price:

- The video tutorials don't work. The video plays but I hear no sound. I suspect the main Playground Sessions program has "grabbed" the audio in Exclusive Mode so the video playback doesn't have access to sound.

- All my other Windows applications are silenced while Playground Sessions is in use. So, for example, I don't get the usual "bloop
" notification sound when an email arrives, or a document finishes printing etc. Also, if I want to take a break from Playground Sessions and, say, watch a video on YouTube or listen to a CD using Media Player, I have to close Playground Sessions (not just minimize it) since otherwise it retains control of the audio and YouTube or Media Player get silenced.

Can anyone help with this? I like using Playground Sessions but these audio issues are pretty annoying.

Thanks

biancajane

Re: stuck with Windows Audio (Exclusive Mode) on Windows 10

Post by biancajane » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:34 pm

Does anyone have a solution to this? I am having the exact problem. A few months ago when I was using this program I had no issues but now it's so frustrating and I've just bought the lifetime membership :/