lag / delay when playing

General user help and bug reports for Playground Sessions for Windows
lostpilot28

lag / delay when playing

Post by lostpilot28 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:25 pm

Hoping someone can help me out here...I'm working my way through the Bootcamp lessons, and I'm on Can-can. The bar that scrolls across the notes is very jumpy and often doesn't register my played notes at the right moment.

Has anyone experienced this? What can I do to fix it?

My laptop has the following specs:

Toshiba C55-B laptop
Processor is a Celeron 2.16 GHz
4 GB RAM
64 bit Windows 10 OS

I've got no other programs running, and have shut down anything that may be interfering with Playground.

Thanks in advance!

sw1tch73ch

Re: lag / delay when playing

Post by sw1tch73ch » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:55 pm

One of the suggestions in another thread was to opening task manager and bump up the priority on the Playground process. They suggested Real-Time priority, but you can probably start with the "Higher" and work your way up. Making it real-time would give Playground Sessions even more priority that most of the Windows System processes.

You might still have processes running you don't need, even though you have no other programs running. Some Anti-Virus software use a significant bit of processing power. You could look to see what other processes, other than Playground are using large chunks of the CPU time. Then you'll need to see if those processes are important!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

Russ1409

Post by Russ1409 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:54 pm

I had best success in opening the task manager and ending any task that wasn't absolutely necessary. Bumping up PGS to higher priority also helped, but could also cause some unsteady performance, as sometimes things with lower priority didn't get the juice they needed....for instance, I would have trouble with the sound, or sometimes the cursor became very choppy. I finally just moved the priority back to normal and concentrated on ending unneeded tasks.

When I tried the real time priority it caused my laptop to lock up.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:14 pm

I did have luck with the "Higher" setting, but like everything with computers "Your Mileage May Vary" really applies. As long as you got to a usable point with the software, that's what matters.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

alben5k

Post by alben5k » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:32 pm

Having a similar problem, playing and the timer stops but the background music keeps playing. If I hit keys during this hiccup the keys will register either before the hiccup or after it 'jumps' to catch up with itself.
Also, when this happens the metronome will also pause, then when it catches up I'll get several quick 'ticks' of the metronome as it tries to catch up on time, causing my timing to get all sorts of messed up.
I've tried this on multiple computers: My tablet, which I thought this was because the tablet was under-powered for the program. So I grabbed my laptop and had the same problem. I cannot use my desktop because there is no not-awkward way to play with my desktop in front of me.
I've tried upping the priority of the program via the task manager, but that doesn't help. I also tried hiding the software keyboard on screen, thinking it was perhaps the video that wasn't able to keep up, because the backing music continues to play at normal time. The problem gets worse when using both hands, if I have multiple keys held down the program starts to really slow... I think it might be the midi controller slowing things down?