No Audio During Videos (and a Workaround/Solution)

General user help and bug reports for Playground Sessions for Windows
Nomaly

No Audio During Videos (and a Workaround/Solution)

Post by Nomaly » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:36 pm

Normally I'm using the ASIO4All sound driver during the exercises for its super-low latency, but in order to hear audio from the videos what I need to do is switch my audio to "Windows Audio" and restart the app. Where I make the switch is by using the Settings icon in the lower-right of the Playground Sessions.

This allows me to hear audio from the videos, but the latency on the keyboard is too much for practice so I just switch it back to ASIO4all when the video is over. Still, it would be nice to be able to play the keyboard while the video is playing and to not have to make switches.

From a software/code standpoint, I wonder if forcing the audio from the video to go down the same pipeline as the audio from the keyboard and accompaniment would allow me to use ASIO4all with it. Obviously it's split for a reason right now but I wonder if that would solve most of the issues for Windows users.

I should also mention that I disabled the "Digital Output" in my sound devices and set "Speakers" to default. I did this by right-clicking Windows' speaker icon in the lower right and selecting "Playback Devices". I did this because I noticed the volume bar jumping in the Digital Output during videos, although I couldn't hear anything.

seant23
Site Admin

Re: No Audio During Videos (and a Workaround/Solution)

Post by seant23 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:19 am

I wonder if the ASIO4ALL settings are using exclusive mode(which would block all other sounds).

When you have ASIO4ALL selected, can you watch youtube videos and hear the sound?

Nomaly

Re: No Audio During Videos (and a Workaround/Solution)

Post by Nomaly » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:46 am

Hi Sean, thank you for the reply. My name is also Sean. I've been doing some research and testing and it turns out that ASIO4All is exclusive and that ASIO is exclusive by its own nature.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... s.85).aspx

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7&t=404618

I'll let you know if I find a workaround that works better than the current one of switching between audio drivers.