knowing the song makes a big differences!

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
Richard

knowing the song makes a big differences!

Post by Richard » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:38 am

Many of the songs here, I've never heard of... but being one of the older set, that is probably not a surprise.

However, I've just gone through... 'Over The Rainbow,' a classic and one I now well.. but what I want to make a comment about, was how knowing the song well, really helped when learning it!

I could instantly tell when a note was out, or in!

I suppose this is not a surprise to people who have played for some time!?

This leads me to another point... I don't really like trying to follow along with the notes in front of me... I prefer to play along with the tune in my head and listen to then notes I play. This I take it is what is called, 'Playing By Ear.'

I did try going to youtube, and the like, and listening to some of the songs I didn't know, but most are way different to the simplified versions here. I understand why the simplyfied versions are needed, but would it be an idea to supply a complete piano version, so I and others like me who like to know the song, can play them over and over again? I understand that an interpretation that is not sold, is ok.

PS: I'm enjoying the course, but disapointed in the lack of particpation on the forum. Is there anywhere else that Playground users go?

draco2023a

Re: knowing the song makes a big differences!

Post by draco2023a » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:12 pm

I think users will come around.....We just need to keep posting :D

Russ1409

Post by Russ1409 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:41 pm

We are too busy practicing to post :lol:

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:40 am

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
'busy practicing!' :lol:

draco2023a

Post by draco2023a » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:11 am

Well you have to take a break sometimes. LOL
Trust me, I know...monday-friday I'm at the keyboard from 7 am to 5 pm :D

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:13 pm

Nice to see the dialogue exchange here. Don't mind me while I slide into the thread. :)

Richard, you're absolutely right on all accounts. Knowing a song before going into learning it makes learning it easier to pick up.

Playing music based on what you hear in opposed to what you read (via sheet music) is "playing by ear".

And we include the simplified version of songs in our Bootcamp, but the more complex versions (and ones truer to the original songs) in our store. Check out these versions of Somewhere Over The Rainbow:

Advanced
http://playgroundsessions.com/store/view-song/306

Intermediate
http://playgroundsessions.com/store/view-song/304

Richard

Post by Richard » Sun May 01, 2016 4:43 am

Hi David and thanks for the reply!

Very much like the different versions.... It is surprising how different the same song can be!?

Interestingly, I preferred the Intermediate version, but I think that is just down to personal preference.

I'm not a big fan of the notes religiously following the melody, I prefer to use the piano to support me singing the melody and that's what I hoping to achieve here. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but it's just that I can make mistakes when I supporting my singing and it doesn't sound that bad... however, if I miss play a note of the strict melody it sticks out like, a sore thumb! If you know what I mean!?

By the way my singing isn't that good, but ok for personal use! 8-)

I would like to use both hand to play accompaniment to songs and there by give a fuller backing, while at the same time allowing greater flexibility too.

I like the way you, in the, 'Rookie' section, you broke the songs down into 4/2 time and often had the melody overlaid, thereby the notes being played supported the melody, rather than play it.

I'm looking forward to getting to grips with the next section.

If you think of doing any tutorials on, playing the piano with both hands... to support a melody, then I'm ready to sign up!?

Russ1409

Post by Russ1409 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:46 am

Richard wrote:If you think of doing any tutorials on, playing the piano with both hands... to support a melody, then I'm ready to sign up!?
I'll second that, since it would help understand how this all fits in with playing in an ensemble, or a band. But I'm surely not singing...I'm not even good enough for the shower :oops:

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon May 02, 2016 4:36 am

Hi Russ.. thanks for input!

Being profoundly deaf helps with my singing! :lol:

Russ1409

Post by Russ1409 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:08 am

We will start a band, and you can be the lead singer.